Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform

2 posters

Go down

Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform Empty Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform

Post by Ponee Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:58 pm

Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform Captainsingh
Earlier this year, Captain Simratpal Singh became the first active duty Sikh American soldier in 35 years to be allowed to serve while wearing his religious turban and beard on active duty.

CBS Evening News

The Secretary of the Army has issued a directive that will allow Sikhs to wear beards and turbans in uniform, CBS News’ national security correspondent David Martin reports.

Previously, a Sikh had to get permission from the Secretary of the Army. Now approval can be granted at the brigade level, which is much further down the chain of command.  

Male observant Sikhs often cover their heads with turbans, which are considered sacred, and refrain from shaving their beards.  

The change comes decades after President Ronald Reagan passed an executive order in the 1980s that called for all troops to look uniform, which meant facial hair and religious head wear were not permitted.  
Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform 0513endahlersikhcaptian1063167640x360
Play Video

Earlier this year, Capt. Simratpal Singh became the first active-duty Sikh American soldier in 35 years to be allowed to serve while wearing his religious turban and beard on active duty, CBS News’ Don Dahler reported. Singh had been forced to shave his beard and remove his turban back in 2006, on his first day as a cadet at West Point.

More recently, he decided to stand up for his beliefs and took the Army to court seeking a religious accommodation. Singh won, after a decade of service.

“After 10 years I was like ‘Wow, it finally happened!’ And I was extremely excited about that,” he said.
The New York Police Department has also changed its uniform policy, CBS New York reported. Instead of fitting a turban beneath their department-issued caps, Sikh police officers can now wear turbans that have the NYPD insignia attached.

Officers must first get approval and the turbans must be navy blue, the Associated Press reported.

“I think it’s going to give people the opportunity to join the police department,” Police Commissioner James O’Neill said. “If I’ve got my numbers right, we have about 160 people from the Sikh community and hopefully this change of policy, we’ll be able to get more people to apply.” 

O’Neill announced the new rules last week following a graduation ceremony for new police recruits, and he said the change is long overdue.

Sikh officers will also be allowed to grow beards up to a half-inch long. Beards were forbidden because they interfered with wearing gas masks. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sikhs-to-be-allowed-to-wear-beards-turbans-in-army-uniform/

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform Empty Re: Sikhs to be allowed to wear beards, turbans in Army uniform

Post by Ethel Biscuit Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:40 am

I know a few Sikhs. Wonderful people, wonderful religion.

Did you know that whenever a gurdwara (Sikh temple) is built, it MUST be built with a kitchen so that food can be prepared and served? Food is served to anyone who comes - whether they are Sikh or not, whether they attend the ceremonies or not - anyone at all.

They oppose the Hindu caste system, believe in equality of men and women and all races. Historically, many of them died fighting the oppression of the Muslim Mughals in India.

picking  "Scum" - Sue Winters
Ethel Biscuit
Ethel Biscuit
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum