Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting,

Go down

Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting, Empty Battle for Mosul will be won by hand-to-hand fighting,

Post by Ponee Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:59 pm

ERBIL // Iraqi forces have advanced to 5km from Mosul in an offensive against ISIL’s last major stronghold in Iraq and there are signs of revolt against the group, the interior minister of the Kurdish regional government said on Saturday.
But the battle would not be over soon, he added.

Karim Sinjari, who is also acting defence minister, said ISIL fighters — believed to number between 4,000 and 8,000 — will put up a fierce fight because of Mosul’s symbolic value. It is where their leader Abu Bakr Al Baghdadi declared a caliphate and himself the leader of the world’s Muslims at a mosque after seizing Iraq’s second largest city in 2014.

"If they resist in the city, especially in old Mosul, it will be a big fight ... The roads are very thin, very narrow. You can’t have vehicles, you can’t have tanks. So it will be a fight, person by person," said Mr Sinjari.

With air and ground support from the US-led coalition, an Iraqi force of about 30,000, joined by US special forces and under US, French and British air cover, is ready to push into Mosul after recapturing Fallujah and Ramadi, west of Baghdad, and seizing the Sunni stronghold of Tikrit in central Iraq.
"I think the fight for Mosul will be longer than Fallujah and Tikrit, Mosul is a big city," said Mr Sinjari. So far, Kurdish forces have seized 20 villages and the Iraqi army have taken ten.

There are unconfirmed reports that Al Baghdadi was in Mosul only three days ago and was seen visiting fighters and offering encouragement, said Mr Sinjari. Some Mosul residents were carrying out night-time attacks on ISIL.

"There are many reports that there are elements that have agreed to kill members of Daesh. Some members of Daesh were killed in the street," he said.
"They don’t want Daesh. Some were killed and some left. These are people who have weapons, who carry out attacks in specific areas at night and slip away."
The minister said the extremists have built underground tunnels and dug a trench around Mosul which they filled with oil to set on fire when the offensive gets closer to the city.

Nearly 1,000 people were treated for breathing problems linked to toxic gases from a sulphur plant south of Mosul which ISIL militants are thought to have set on fire on Friday. Hospital sources in Qayyarah said there were no deaths in the incident. ISIL militants shot at and fired mortars at Iraqi forces advancing toward a village in Nineveh province. A suicide bomber then drove a lorry rigged up with explosives at them but security forces blew up the vehicle before it reached them, said Second Lieutenant Faruq Ahmed Mohammed of the federal police. A police officer was lightly wounded in the blast.

Iraqi forces were trying to advance close enough to establish a corridor for civilians to exit, he said, but they were targeted by mortar rounds and suicide bombing.
Security forces advanced and fell back, exchanging fire with the militants over several hours and eventually hitting them with mortar rounds.

The resistance they faced demonstrates that even a small number of fanatics can slow down larger and more heavily armed forces, especially when civilians are present — an issue Iraqi troops will continue to face as they push towards Mosul.
Earlier in the day, black smoke rose from fires in the village as Iraqi forces slowly advanced in armoured vehicles along a dusty track through the desert to avoid bombs planted by ISIL on the main road.

Military engineers were working to clear the road — efforts evidenced by periodic explosions that sent clouds of dust rising into the air — but progress was slow. One said ISIL had covered the terrain "like a carpet" with bombs.
Iraqi police and soldiers took position on a hill to the south of the village, while other units later moved in from the east, the main scene of the fighting for most of the day.

IS fired mortar rounds toward the advancing forces, most of which missed by a wide margin, though at least one exploded near a group of Humvees.

The plan, said interior minister Sinjari, is to surround Mosul from all sides.

He conceded the pressure might well spur ISIL on to even more ruthlessness. People who had escaped from them in the town of Hawija paid a heavy price when they were caught on a road. "They killed 118 of them," said Mr Sinjari. "We expect them to take human shields. We expect everything."
* Agence France Presse

http://www.thenational.ae/world/middle-east/battle-for-mosul-will-be-won-by-hand-to-hand-fighting-warns-kurdish-minister?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum