Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests?

Go down

Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? Empty Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests?

Post by kenlej Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:38 am

Zimbabweans are being urged on social media and the messaging service WhatsApp to observe a two-day national "shutdown" in protest at the government's alleged mismanagement of the country.
A one-day stay away was organised last week and led to a complete shutdown of schools, businesses and shops across the country.
It was the biggest strike action since 2005.

Why are people protesting?

Zimbabwe has run out of money.
Last month, all civil servants were paid late. Soldiers and police were paid after a two-week delay and teachers and nurses were among those who were only paid in the wake of last week's stay away.

Jump media player
Media player help

Out of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.

[size=14]Media captionZimbabwe's week of protests[/size]
These salaries have to be paid in foreign currency as Zimbabwe abandoned its own currency in 2009 in order to stem runaway inflation.
As the country is importing more than it is exporting, it cannot pay its bills.
The coalition government formed with the opposition, which was in power from 2009 until 2013, halted the economic free-fall.
But things started to flounder again after President Robert Mugabe's Zanu-PF party won elections in July 2013 on a mandate of "indigenisation" and a promise to create two million jobs.
This has required all companies to cede economic control to black Zimbabweans.
With echoes of the country's land reform programme, which saw the seizure of land from some 4,000 white farmers, some detractors say this has discouraged much-needed foreign direct investment.

• Zimbabwe clamps down on indigenisation laws

How bad is the situation?

Many people literally cannot afford to feed themselves. This has been exacerbated by a severe drought - the worst in decades.
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? _90364435_epaImage copyrightEPAImage captionMany Zimbabweans are relying on food aid this year
Even if Zimbabweans have money in their bank accounts, strict limits have been imposed on how much they can withdraw, leading to long bank queues.
With unemployment at more than 90%, many rely on cross-border trading to make a living.
In an attempt to stop money leaving the country, last month the government banned the importation of many goods - from coffee creamers and body cream to beds and fertiliser.
This led to demonstrations at the South African border and a warehouse belonging to the tax agency used to hold seized goods was set alight in Beitbridge.
Ten days later, police in the capital, Harare, had to use tear gas and water cannons to break up a protest by minibus drivers who were angered at constant harassment at roadblocks by officers demanding bribes.

• Zimbabweans facing hunger

Is there a plan to kick-start the economy?

The government wants to introduce bond notes as a cash substitute. They are to be pegged to the US dollar and would have no value outside Zimbabwe.
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? _90364437_8fbb7d98-3c14-482e-941f-98a2acba6b9dImage copyrightAPImage captionZimbabweans can spend all day in a bank queue
Many Zimbabweans are sceptical about this and do not trust the scheme backed by the central bank governor and a $200m (£151m) bond facility from the African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank).
Memories of hyperinflation, when the highest denomination was a $100 trillion Zimbabwean dollar note - and prices would go up by millions from one hour to the next - are still fresh.
They fear that within months, the specially designed two, five, 10 and 20 dollar notes would have very little value - and as one market trader put it "wouldn't even buy a sweet".
It has not helped that the announcement of the bond notes came shortly after Mr Mugabe revealed that $15bn of the country's diamond wealth had been looted - something he blamed on foreign mining firms but which many Zimbabweans find hard to believe.

• Will bond notes help Zimbabwe?

Who is behind the protests?

Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? _90368189_85ae0292-e179-41cc-92dd-fd92ee096f78Image copyrightAPImage captionPastor Evan Mawarire is using the Zimbabwe flag to rally for change
Charismatic pastor Evan Mawarire began a social media movement in May under the hashtag #ThisFlag, when he spontaneously posted a video online, expressing his frustration at the state of the nation.
It went viral and spurred him to continue urging Zimbabweans to find their voice and demand accountability from their government.
His outspoken videos in English and Shona are careful to say that non-violence is key, but other agitators are not so guarded.
Younger activists under the banner Tajamuka, meaning "we strongly disagree", are less moderate.

Shutdown activists' five demands:
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? _90368187_63424a59-053d-42a5-867b-12ba0117d2f1Image copyrightAP
[list=story-body__ordered-list]
[*]Pay civil servants on time

[*]Reduce roadblocks and stop officers harassing people for cash

[*]President Robert Mugabe should fire and prosecute corrupt officials

[*]Plans to introduce bond notes to ease a cash shortage should be abandoned

[*]Remove a recent ban on imported goods.

[/list]

Its supporters are young men who are fed up of waiting for jobs. Their brazen approach is similar to that of "Occupy Africa Unity Square", a group founded by Itai Dzamara, an anti-corruption activist who disappeared in mysterious circumstances last year.
Another agitator is young politician Acie Lumumba, who was recently expelled from Zanu-PF because of his vocal criticism of the government. He has recently launched his own party, and publicly insulted the 92-year-old president, saying: "You have never really seen Zimbabweans angry so here is the red line… I have drawn the line."

• Zimbabwe's flag fury

What happens next?

There are bound to be more arrests, the pastor has already been charged with inciting public violence. The authorities are determined to find those activists sending out the messages on WhatsApp.
Protests are likely to continue if civil servants are not paid on time. Churches and women's groups also appear to be joining in criticism of the government - and young people feel they have nothing to lose.
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? _90368443_1bff3486-b6a6-4082-aca4-8b626da85cc9Image copyrightREUTERSImage captionSupporters of President Mugabe blame Western sanctions for the country's problems
According to the Financial Times, the government is hoping to negotiate an emergency loan to pay off arrears totalling nearly $2bn with the World Bank, African Development Bank and IMF.
This would allow the country an emergency injection of funds from these institutions.
At the moment, South Africa is in talks with Zimbabwean officials over the import ban and some have suggested that switching to the South African rand as the currency of choice would also help boost the economy.
But to date Zimbabweans have been reluctant to hold the rand because of its falling value.
Another option would be to reintroduce its own currency and peg it to the rand, like in Lesotho and Swaziland. But that may dent national pride and signal a loss of financial independence.

BUT ZIMBABWE IS GOING TO BECOME THE RICHEST NATION ON EARTH WITH THE ZIM BECOMING WORTH BILLIONS AND TRILLIONS OF USD 
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? 3508649203 Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? 3508649203 Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? 3508649203 Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? 3508649203 Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? 3508649203
kenlej
kenlej
GURU HUNTER
GURU HUNTER

Back to top Go down

Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? Empty Re: Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests?

Post by kenlej Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:49 am

HERE'S WHAT THE ZIMBABWEANS ARE DOING WITH THEIR ZIM 

Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? 9k=
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? Z
Zimbabwe shutdown: What is behind the protests? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4xhOtX0al-7IJyP_do7F2cQrAeGAw_j8twM53ZmYR1rogh0b-
kenlej
kenlej
GURU HUNTER
GURU HUNTER

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum