Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats

4 posters

Go down

One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats Empty How to Raise Healthy Goats

Post by Mountain Goatee Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:42 pm

How to Raise Healthy Goats
There are many advantages to learning how to raise goats. The author, an experienced veterinarian, provides useful info on their breeding, feeding, and care.
By Randy Kidd
September/October 1980

You can produce all the milk you'll ever need—for pennies a gallon—by raising goats. And that homegrown drink will be fresh, delicious, and exceptionally healthful. In fact, many folks (including some babies) who are allergic to cow's milk can readily digest goat "nectar."

(And by the way, the myth that goat milk has a disagreeable "off" flavor is simply untrue. If you keep your equipment clean and quickly chill your nanny's daily offerings—as you'd have to do to keep any dairy product tasty—you'll find that goat's milk is every bit as good as, if not better than, "moo juice.")

There are many other advantages to learning how to raise goats: Each doe will, every year, produce two or three youngsters that can be used as replacement stock, butchered for their tasty meat (called chevon), or sold to other goat farmers. The animals are excellent browsers that can forage for much of their own feed. The beautiful hide from butchered bucks and does can be made into vests and rugs. Some goats (the mohair varieties) grow luxurious coats of usable wool each year. The livestock can become great companions as well as helpful cart pullers. Goat's milk can be used to make yogurt and—with a bit of know-how and practice—delicious butter and cheese. And finally, every caprine critter you raise will contribute valuable manure for your vegetable garden. 

Recognize Your Market

Goats are often called "poor man's cows," because they're the most practical homestead milkmakers imaginable. A good dairy cow, it's true, can produce as much as five gallons of bovine beverage per day ... more than most households can use, and she'll eat a heck of a lot of grain and hay. A goat will average a usable yield of a gallon (or less) of milk daily, during its annual 305-day lactation period ... and will consume a lot less feed while doing so.

Of course, even a gallon of the liquid nutrient is a lot for many families to consume each and every day, so you may be tempted to think of turning your goat-raising hobby into a small home business. If so, it's best that you forget the idea. As I've explained in previous articles, you should consider your own household to be the market for almost all your homestead livestock products. This "rule" is especially true when applied to goats, because the laws regulating milk sales in most states make setting up a small caprine dairy almost impossible. (You can, of course, check your local county or state health department to find out about the requirements for milk sales in your area.)

There are, however, many ways to use your excess milk supply. You can make yogurt or cheese, and feed other livestock with it (chickens and pigs love goat's milk). It's also possible to use goat cream to make butter, but let me forewarn you that this process is somewhat difficult because a nanny's milk has such tiny fat droplets that, in effect, it's already homogenized. Most folks find they need a manual or electric cream separator (the units are available through goat supply houses) to collect usable quantities of cream.

From Mother Earth News
Mountain Goatee
Mountain Goatee
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats Empty Best Goat Farming Story Ever.... Hilarious & True

Post by Mountain Goatee Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:24 pm

Best Goat Farming Story Ever, Hilarious and True

Posted on May 2, 2011 by in Sustainable Agriculture

If there was ever a key to unlock all of the demons from hell all at once …I had just done that deed. As the perfume dripped its way down his head to his nostrils he stuck out his lips and extended his chin and neck like he had done since the day I brought him home

Written by Steve Riddle, a farmer in Wisconsin this was called “Revised Goat Story” when he posted it on my Facebook Page. I think it’s the best goat farming story ever. When I read it I laughed so hard I had tears streaming down my face, seriously it’s hilarious. And this is no tall tale, it’s all true. Actually, there’s no way you could make this up. I hope you enjoy his gift for describing farming disasters as much as I do. In my experience there are a lot of these kinds of things that beginning farmers go through as part of the learning process, but I’ve never found anyone who could tell them so well. Luckily Steve has agreed to share several more of his stories with us over the coming weeks. This story is not profane in any way, but there were a couple of phrases in it that I edited because I was worried that a search engine might take them out of context. Anyway, here it is:

Our 1st attempt with goats was a freebie that was lost in a storm and ended up in my mother-in-laws subdivision. So we kept it. Not sure at first what sex it was because it had horns we thought must be a male, then we figured out real quick, NOT a male as there wasn’t a “package” dangling from the backside. So we named her Gotcha. We had her for a year or so. Then the following Mothers Day a volunteer where I work at offered me a male goat, FOR FREE!!! Well hell, didn’t take this Scotsman descendant too long to think about that one. (A second free goat, hey this farming thing is gonna be slick -we’re gonna get everything for free!!!!)

So I went to pick him up in my 1982 VW Vanagon, (stick shift) It took some adjustment, driving down the road, shifting gears and steering with one hand and my knee, while holding him by his massive set of horns with the other. Now, Mother’s Day is in May, so as cool as it was there was no real reason to have the windows down, and once I started on this trek, I really didn’t have a free hand to roll down a window, if you know what I mean. During that short trip I thought more than once he almost broke free of my grip as he lunged forward and back, and he took the liberty of scratching his chin on the backside of my passenger seat.

Well, it only took about 3-5 minutes in that VW holding onto that goat to start to smell…..something. Something horrible smelling, something unlike anything I had smelled before. Thank God it was only about a 30 minute ride back to the farm. (For those out there that have never had the pleasure of being around a male goat before, they do this male macho, ritual “thing”. They spray their beard with a combination of their own  fluids [this is my edit – just trying to keep us from getting site blocked – TR] and over a period of time it builds to quite an unusual and distinctive scent.)

So getting out of the van, I presented her with the goat I got her for Mothers Day. I guess to explain the total situation, I don’t want anyone to think I’m the type of guy who’d pick up a FREE gift for my wife, then turn around and give it to her. Truth is on Saturday I was at an auction and managed to pick up a Sears self-propelled, electric start lawn mower for only $45 WHAT A BARGAIN…! When I got home Saturday, she said no way was she going to accept a lawn mower for a gift. (So now you see I HAD no choice than to pick up the goat.) I figured, if she wasn’t going to mow, I needed some way to keep the grass down, thus the male goat… unloading the new male goat from my van, I had no idea that it would take several weeks before the SMELL of him would leave my beloved VW van.

Comparing the 2 goat’s side-by-side, it was clear that we now had a “breeding pair” of goats. The male had thick, heavy horns, a long and very smelly beard, and an enormous set of balls that almost dangled to the ground. All our little girl had was a thin set of horns and a twitchy tail.

So, time for introductions. For some reason she was not accepting to his very willing romantic behavior, as he pranced up along side of her and tried to rub his chin along her backside. Every time he’d prance alongside her, she’d run off in another direction. Now I consider myself a patient man, and enjoy a few beers after I get off work, but after several days of her playing hard to get, enough was enough. I curled my cans for the evening and walked out to the barn and held her by the horns so he could have a go with her. -Hey, if I’m now a farmer, then by God we WILL have some goat kids running around here I thought. And so, the deed was done. All I had to do was wait until kidding time, but how long is the gestation cycle?

Even though he had done his job, he was more than willing to continue his romantic advances, in fact, after his first little “man-handled date” with Gotcha it appeared he doubled his efforts. Poor little Gotcha continuously had to run all around the pasture to a point where it was beginning to annoy even me! I got to thinking, could it be that goats are among those animal species that mate for life? Could it be that she had already chosen her lifelong mate at the last place she was, before we found her wandering that subdivision? …maybe she had secret relations with that obnoxious buck after the sun went down? In the mean time, he was marking every fencepost, barn stall, well pump, water tank and feeder he could rub his chin on. Before long our entire farm began to smell like male goat semen and urine! It got to the point where I sat down for dinner one night and the rest of the family could smell male goat on me because I had leaned against the barn wall; wondering how long would she evade his advances?

When Fathers Day came around my wife had decided to “settle the score” sort of speak. So when I got home from work that evening we had supper and then she handed me my present. It was a smallish box wrapped with a ribbon around all four sides. I’ll admit, I honestly wasn’t expecting much, actually nothing at all. But when I opened the gift and glanced over at my darling wife she had a sparkle in her eye and a serious but playful grin on her face. I looked back at my small present trying to fit it all together, and then it hit me! Oh for Mothers Day I get you a goat, and for Father’s Day you get me a bottle of Chloe perfume?

Ok, I said, but if you think you are going to use any of my perfume you are not. In fact I’m gonna go spray your stinky-ass male goat with it right now. I entered the pasture and I unscrewed the sprayer top and poured some on the top of his head.

If there was ever a key to unlock all of the demons from hell all at once …I had just done that deed. As the perfume dripped its way down his head to his nostrils he stuck out his lips and extended his chin and neck like he had done since the day I brought him home. But then, I guess the fragrance of the perfume had sunk in and altered his reality, and he began to act possessed, uttering sounds which to this day I still can’t accurately describe but I think it sounded like a combination of when the Wicked Witch of the West had water poured on her from the Wizard of Oz, and the slaying sound from a wild boar from a National Geographic special on African Pigmy Hunting Rituals I once saw.

He began to run all over and jump up in the air and flop on the ground and spray his fluids all over in every direction. I ran out of the pasture with him chasing after me! I had only seconds after I closed the gate shut before he slammed into it, then proceeding to ram anything in his sight, he kept up that behavior for a solid thirty minutes or so before he must have sprayed enough to recognize himself. After that little episode, my wife agreed that it was time to get rid of that present, he had worn out his welcome on our farm.

During all of this we had a litter of pups, our first litter of Border Collie pups. I ran an ad in the newspaper and a lady from the city called and wanted to check them out. Once we found out she was a small animal veterinarian, I told her about our attempt at goat kidding and she offered to take a look to see how much longer we’d have to wait until our little Goatcha had her little babies. And so, we put the puppies aside and walked back to the barn. I have to admit that I felt proud as we walked and talked along the path, that a veterinarian from the city liked what she saw. It assured me that we did make the right decision to move out to the country and to buy a farm. Maybe some of you can relate to this, but when you’re young and you make big decisions, ….like buying a farm, or a car, or stuff like that you’d like to make sure you’re making the right decisions. If my father was still alive, these are the big calls you’d like to seek reassurance on, so it was kinda nice to have a veterinarian commend you on your first farm. Lost in a little mental “at-a-boy” patting myself on the back, it took a moment for her words to sink in; I had to ask her to repeat herself please? She said again, “This goat is not a female, ……it’s a wether”

Suddenly, I had a knot in my gut and all I could offer her in response was a blank look, while I thought back to my participation in a drunken male goat mating barn brawl unwanted advance [again these are both my edits – TR]. ……to this day I have vowed not to drink and practice animal husbandry at the same time. The lady left, not giving a second look back or further interest in the pups. We even had to get rid of Gotcha because she, I mean he, …I mean it, never returned to its normal behavior.

Back before I brought that other devil goat home to our farm, Gotcha was a very nice goat, always coming out to greet us when we brought a treat of carrot or apple slice. And, although one might think without that sexual predator and menace on our farm, that would return Gotcha to its former self it did not.

Instead when I entered the pasture, it came running up as always but then would tuck its head at the last second and try to head but me with the horns. I guess the goat was carrying a grudge because of my participation, although well intended as it was. We soon gave Gotcha away in part because I didn’t want our little girls to get knocked over [my edit again -TR] anymore and in part to help erase that mishap from my memory.
Mountain Goatee
Mountain Goatee
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats Empty TWENTY TRUTHS ABOUT RAISING GOATS

Post by Mtn. Goat Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:39 pm

TWENTY TRUTHS ABOUT RAISING GOATS

Mortality and goats go together. Any species that has early sexual maturity, short gestation, and multiple births is going to have deaths -- despite your efforts. Do your best and learn from your mistakes.

Confined goats become unhealthy or dead goats. Goats need many acres to roam in order to stay worm- and disease-free. You cannot successfully feedlot goats; they can't take the stress and crowding.

Unexpected problems *will* occur. Illnesses, weather problems, broken fences -- when you raise goats, problems are going to occur at the most inconvenient time, when you are exhausted, and when you can least afford it.

Trying to breed for all markets generally results in failure in most markets. Unless you have lots of acreage, cheap labor, and a ton of money, you cannot produce quality breeding stock, show goats, and slaughter animals. Each category is a specific type of animal and mutually exclusive of each other. Select one as your focal point and "dabble" in the others -- if you must.

If making the almighty dollar is your driving force, you are doomed from the start. Focus on quality animals and honest business dealings and the money will follow.

Show goat and meat goats are *not* the same animal. If you want to raise meat goats, don't take nutrition or management advice from show-goat people. Don't try to make show goats into breeding stock or commercial goats. Show goats are raised completely different from meat goats.

Goats are not the tin-can-eating animals of Saturday-morning cartoon fame. Nutrition is the most complex part of raising goats. Rumens are very easy to upset. Think in terms of "feeding the rumen, not the goat." Have a qualified goat nutritionist review your specific needs and recommend a feeding program adapted specifically to your herd. Improper feeding kills goats.

If someone offers you cheap bred does in the dead of winter, you can be sure that the deal is too good to be true. The act of moving them cross-country under such conditions is enough to make this a bad investment. The best you can expect is sick does and dead kids. Goats need time to adapt to new surroundings. Use common sense when transporting and relocating them.

Goats are livestock -- not humans, dogs, or cats. They live outside, having a distinct social pecking order, and beat the heck out of each other regularly to maintain this ranking. Goats are delightful and intelligent animals, but they weren't created to live in the house with you. Lose the urbanite approach to raising goats.

A goat with a big rumen is not necessarily fat. A big rumen is indicative of a good digestive factory. A goat is a ruminant and a ruminant is a pot-bellied animal. Fat on a goat layers around internal organs and also forms "pones" or "handles" that you can grab with your fingers at locations like where the chest meets the front leg. If you can pinch an inch of flesh at that point, the goat is likely fat. A light layer of subcutaneous fat over the ribs is essential.

Goats are NOT "little cattle." Goats and cattle are ruminants and there the similarity ends. Think of goats as *first cousins* to deer in terms of how they live, roam, and forage for food.

Goats are linear thinkers. The shortest distance between two points to a goat is a straight line. If you place a gate at the north end of the pasture and the home pens are south, goats are going to stand at the south end of the pasture until you have the sense to cut a gate there. If water is on the immediate other side of the fence, goats will not walk down and around the fence to get to the water. It's 'right over there,' so they'll stand in one place until you show them how to access the water or until they die of thirst. Cut a gate for easy access and save yourself some grief. Learn to think like a goat.

A male goat has only one purpose in life -- to reproduce his species in general and his lineage in particular. A buck in rut is a dangerous animal. He may have been cute when you were bottle-feeding him, but he is a male on a mission when does are in heat -- and you are in his way. Be careful around and always respect the danger potential of breeding bucks.

Bred does will kid in the worst possible weather. When sunshine changes to storms and the temperature drops below freezing, the kidding process will begin.

Bottle babies are a pain in the rear. Delightfully cute as they are, they grow up to be adults that are poorly socialized within the herd, overly-dependent upon humans, and usually at the bottom of the herd's pecking order. Do everything you can -- short of destroying a kid -- to avoid bottle babies.

Goats are creatures of habit. If you have a goat that repeatedly hangs its horns in fencing, that goat will stick its head in the same place time after time until you fit the horns with a PVC pipe secured by duct tape. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Goats are HERD animals. More so than any other livestock, goats depend upon staying together for safety. They have few natural defenses and many predators.

There is no such thing as a "disease-free" herd. There isn't a goat alive that doesn't have something that could be deemed *disease* in its system. The immune system requires a certain level of bacteria, worms, and coccidia in order to keep the goat healthy. No producer can guaranteed totally "disease-free" animals. When raising livestock, disease is a fact of life. You are never "in control" to the extent that you want to be or think you are.

Goats are the "Houdinis" of the fence world. If a goat can get its head through the fence, the body is going to follow. Goats do not naturally have a "reverse gear." Fencing material designed especially for goats is a *must.*

Cull or cope with your creation. Goats that are repeatedly sick, are overly susceptible to worms and coccidiosis, have chronic mastitis or foot rot/scald -- such animals should be culled and sold for food.

Their line should not be perpetuated. Sell the best for breeding stock and eat the rest.

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/twentytruths06.html
Mtn. Goat
Mtn. Goat

Back to top Go down

One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats Empty Sunday morning in a little chapel in the welsh valleys.

Post by Mtn. Goat Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:59 pm

Sunday morning in a little chapel in the welsh valleys.

The vicar is in the pulpit and says, "Who here in the congregation can tell me they have seen a ghost?"

Silence from the congregation.

The vicar then says, "Who here in the congregation can tell me that they have seen and spoken to a ghost?"

Again silence from the congregation.

The vicar then says, "Who here in the congregation can tell me that they have seen and spoken and made love to a ghost?

A voice from the back shouts out,"I have vicar!"

"Thomas Evans", says the vicar, "You mean to tell me that you have seen, spoken to and made love to ghost?"

The man replies "Oh! Sorry vicar I thought you said a goat!"
Mtn. Goat
Mtn. Goat

Back to top Go down

One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats Empty One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats

Post by Mountain Goatee Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:05 pm

What do you get when you cross a Scottish sheep with a Peruvian Mountain Goat? The Dolly Llama.

What do you call an unemployed goat? Billy Idol.

What do you call a goat at sea? Billy Ocean.

What do you call a goat with one ear? Van goat.

What do you call a spastic goat? Billy the kid.

What do you call a goat on a mountain? Hillbilly.

What do you call a goat that lip syncs? Billy-Vanilli.

What do you call a goat playing the piano? Billy Joel.

What do you call a Spanish goat with no back legs? Gracias.

What do you call a redneck who owns 6 goats? A pimp.

What do you call a goat hosting the Oscars? Billy Crystal.

What do you call a goat with a beard? Goatee!

What do you call the best 'butter' on the farm? A goat!

What do you call a goat that was married to Angelina Jolie? Billy Bob Thorton.

What do you call a goat that knows martial arts? Karate kid

What do you call a goat dressed like a clown? A silly billy.

What did Bill Murray say when he met Satan? I ain't afraid of no goats.

What do you call a goat listening to country music? Billy Ray

Cyrus. What do you call a billy secret agent? Goateneye.

Mountain Goatee
Mountain Goatee
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats Empty Crock Pot Gotcha Goat Butternut Squash Stew

Post by Mtn. Goat Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:13 pm

Crock Pot Gotcha Goat Butternut Squash Stew

Ingredients
1.5 lbs Gotcha Goat stew meat
1 tbsp canola oil
5 small red or purple potatoes, chopped
3 large carrots, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
10 oz sliced cremini mushrooms
1 2.5 lb butternut squash, peeled & chopped
1 quart vegetable broth (4 cups)
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp black pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 cup flour
Directions

Place the flour in a shallow dish with the goat stew meat. Toss well to coat. Heat the canola oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté for about five minutes until soft. Add the goat and garlic to the pan and continue sautéing until the beef has browned.

Place the goat, onions and garlic at the bottom of your Crock Pot. Next, add the bay leaf, butternut squash, mushrooms, chopped carrots and potatoes. Pour the vegetable broth over and add the Worcestershire, soy sauce, sugar and paprika. Place the lid on the Crock Pot and turn the heat to low. Cook for 5-8 hours.

http://gotchagoat.biz/Gotcha_Goat_Recipes.html
Mtn. Goat
Mtn. Goat

Back to top Go down

One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats Empty Health Benefits of Goat Milk

Post by Mountain Goatee Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:26 pm

Health Benefits of Goat Milk

Build Strong Bones: This is one of the most common characteristics of all forms of milk, and the main reason why we tell our children that milk is so important. Milk of all varieties is rich in calcium, and goat milk is no exception. In addition, goat milk gives you comparable amounts of calcium as cow milk without so many of the side effects, ensuring that our calcium deposits stay rich and stable, and our bones don’t experience bone mineral density loss as we age, thereby helping to prevent osteoporosis.

Anti-Inflammatory Properties: One reason why people tend to love goat milk is that they are able to enjoy it without the common inflammation and upset stomachs that cow milk so often causes. This is due to the unique enzymatic make-up of goat milk that soothes inflammation in the gut. Research is ongoing to see whether these anti-inflammatory properties extend to other areas of the body, but one thing is for certain, it’s definitely better for your stomach!

Nutrient Uptake Efficiency: One of the main benefits of goat milk is that the chemical composition is far closer to human milk than cow milk. Essentially, humans are designed to be breast-fed, just like goats and cows, but human milk is similar to goat milk, so our bodies are able to get more nutrients out of the milk as it moves through our system and it causes less stress on our digestive processes.

Metabolism Booster: Goat milk is far more nutrient-dense than cow milk, meaning that you don’t need as much of it to receive the same (or better) nutrient intake. A single cup provides nearly 40% of our daily calcium requirements, 20% of our vitamin B intake, as well as significant amounts of potassium and phosphorous. Furthermore, studies have shown that goat milk can help increase the uptake of iron and copper in our digestive tract, which is essential for people who struggle with anemia and other nutrient deficiencies.

Heart Health: There are nearly twice as many beneficial fatty acids in goat milk as can be found in cow milk, which means that our cholesterol balance can be helped significantly by goat milk. By balancing our essential fatty acids in the body, we can prevent atherosclerosis, strokes, heart attacks, and other coronary complications. The high potassium levels in goat milk also help to reduce blood pressure, as potassium is a vasodilator that relaxes blood vessels and relieves tension on the cardiovascular system.

Immunity Booster: Trace amounts of selenium are found in cow milk, but there are also significant amounts in goat milk. This somewhat rare mineral is a key component in immune system functionality, making us better able to protect ourselves from illness and fend off infections.

Growth and Development: Goat milk is a very rich source of protein, which is an essential part of growth and development, as proteins are the building blocks of cells, tissue, muscle, and bone. By ensuring a steady stream of protein, we protect our metabolic processes and stimulate growth and overall good health.

Weight Loss Efforts: Although goat milk has more fatty acids than cow milk, it actually has less “bad” fats, meaning that it can help people who want to lose weight, without compromising their nutritional needs.

Environmental Protection: Due to the digestive processes of cows, they tend to suffer from extreme flatulence, which comes out in the form of methane. This gas is highly corrosive to the atmosphere and the ozone layer; environmental scholars actually suggest that the millions of cows raised for beef and milk are a major player in ozone degradation and global warming. By supporting goat milk production, we can protect future generations and ourselves from the dangerous effects of climate change!

A Final Word of Warning: Due to the different nutrient composition of goat milk from cow milk, it is not recommended to immediately give your children goat milk once they stop breast or bottle-feeding. As they get older, the nutrient composition of goat milk becomes more appropriate, but for proper development, it is wise to begin with cow milk.
Mountain Goatee
Mountain Goatee
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats Empty Getting their goat: City of Seattle rents ruminants to help clear tough overgrowth

Post by Mtn. Goat Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:29 pm

Getting their goat: City of Seattle rents ruminants to help clear tough overgrowth

By Josh Kerns, KIRO Radio Reporter | April 15, 2014 @ 6:45 pm

One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats 620x370_cropped
A herd of goats clears vegetation in northeast Seattle alongside I-5 as part of an annual spring cleanup. (Josh Kerns/MyNorthwest.com)

More Photos
One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats 100x80_thumbnail One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats 100x80_thumbnail One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats 100x80_thumbnail
See all photos

As weeds and invasive plants crowd hillsides around Seattle, city workers are out in force in the annual effort to clear them. One unique crew is drawing plenty of attention for the way it really sinks its teeth into the job.

A herd of goats is busy this week chomping away at a steep hillside covered in thick growth alongside I-5 and Ravenna Blvd. near Greenlake. The Seattle Department of Transportation has been renting the goats from Vashon Island-based Rent-A-Ruminant for years to clear the toughest areas deemed too dangerous or inaccessible for humans to work in.

"When we put them out there they can clear it to ground level pretty quickly," says SDOT spokesman Rick Sheridan. "So it helps us to get the job done safely but also in a cost effective fashion."

The goats have become an increasingly popular tool in the battle against blackberries, Scotch broom and other invasive vegetation.

Rent-A-Ruminant founder Tammy Dunakin started her business in 2004 with only ten goats after burning out on her job in medical trauma care and realizing her small herd was bored just hanging out on her Vashon Island farm. The herd has since grown to over 120 as business has boomed.

"Once I got the goats out they completely marketed themselves. It just takes people seeing them and then the calls start coming in," Dunakin says.

The calls run the gamut from private landowners to government agencies like SDOT, the University of Washington, and the U.S. Navy.

"The best applications for them is where humans and machines can not get to safely or easily," she says. Along with steep slopes, the goats can work in hazardous areas such as under freeway overpasses that are riddled with hypodermic needles from drug users and other waste that could be dangerous to humans, since the goats are immune to human diseases.

The herds make for quite a spectacle, especially alongside busy urban streets. Dunakin works with either 15, 60 or 120 goats at a time surrounded by a temporary chain link fence, depending on the size of the job. She has 60 goats working the job this week in Seattle, which she estimates will take about five days to clear the third-of-an-acre area.

The goats graze around the clock, with Dunakin and her trusty dog camping alongside them in a travel trailer.

"I'm kind of an urban nomad," she laughs. "I take my goats and my little trailer and my herding dog and we just go move into a community until the job's done."

Dunakin charges between $250 to $725 per 24-hour day for the herd, plus a small mobilization fee. It's often far less expensive than hiring humans to do the same job.

"I just did a job in Tacoma that was over a third-of-an-acre, and it was actually three times less expensive to have the goats do it," she says. That's because in addition to making quick work of the difficult terrain, the goats leave little behind to clean up and haul away, making for an environmentally friendly fix to overgrowth.

Dunakin and her goats have gotten plenty of attention in recent years. They've been featured on everything from Nightline to the Colbert Report, and starred in a number of commercials. But the city of Seattle plans to keep them too busy to do any acting for at least the next few months.

"We are very satisfied customers when it comes to utilizing these goat herds," Sheridan laughs. Even better, they don't need lunch breaks.

http://mynorthwest.com/11/2498655/Getting-their-goat-City-of-Seattle-rents-ruminants-to-help-clear-tough-overgrowth
Mtn. Goat
Mtn. Goat

Back to top Go down

One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats Empty HOOF TRIMMING IN GOATS

Post by Mountain Goatee Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:34 pm

The trimming of hooves of goats is a simple task that can be easily learned,however, the hard part comes in committing oneself to follow through in a timely manner. Many foot and leg problems in goats are either caused by a lack of trimming or improper trimming techniques. The amount of time between trimmings depends on many factors, such as type of terrain, the goat's age, level of activity, nutritional level and even breed. Goats raised in relative confinement and on small acreages may also require more frequent trimmings than goats raised in vast pastures. Generally, foot trimming should be done on an as needed basis. Once you become familiar with how the hoof is supposed to look, this will become obvious to you. A properly trimmed hoof should look like that of a newborn kid.

The tools for hoof trimming include: gloves, a set of hoof shears and a hoof knife, both with sharp edges. Optional items include: a rasp, some iodine, turpentine, copper sulfate, and formalin.

It is always easier to trim feet after the goats have been outside in wet grass, as the moisture is taken in by the hoof walls, making them softer and easier to trim. There are also commercial preparations that may be used to harden or soften the hoof if one feels that this is necessary.

There are several ways of holding or restraining a goat in order to care for hooves. The best method is whatever works well for your particular situation. One method is to place the goat on a milking stand. However, most meat and mohair goat producers do not have access to a milking stand nor would their stock stand quietly when placed on such a stand. Therefore, a more practical method might be to merely tie the goat to a post or fence with a halter or have someone hold the goat while the feet are being trimmed. Hold the goat's feet in the same fashion as a farrier works on a horse. Another method that can be used involves placing the goat between one's legs in the same position used for shearing; that is, the animal is in an upright sitting position. This method has the advantage that if the trimmer must work alone without the aid of a milkstand, he/she still can restrain goats better than when they are tied somewhere but do not like to stand still. This method works best with angora and mohair type goats, since they are shorn in this position, however; dairy and meat goats unused to this position may fight quite a bit.

The first step in trimming is to clean off the foot, so that it is free of dirt, stones, rot and manure. Besides being easier to see and more pleasant to handle, a clean foot will not dull a knife's edge as fast as a dirty foot. The next step is to remove any rim or excess growth from the walls of the foot. The wall may have grown and folded back under the foot. In this case some of the overlapped toe will have to be cut back so that the rim of the wall can be removed properly. The trimming of the wall and toe should be done with the shears, while the heel and sole can best be cut with a hoof knife. When using a hoof knife, always cut away from the goat and yourself. The sole should be trimmed down in thin slices until the heel, sole and wall form a flat surface upon which the goat should stand at a correct angle of about 45o. Stop trimmingas soon as the sole begins to appear a pinkish color. Any further trimming goes into the ''quick'' and the foot will begin to bleed. In that case, a disinfectant such as iodine should be used. Turpentine will harden the sole and may also be helpful. In many cases, the weight of the goat itself will put pressure on the cut and stop the bleeding.

If the goat's feet have been neglected for some time, and the toes are very long it is usually not practical to try to bring them back to normal in one trimming. It is generally better to trim the feet a little, then gradually bring them back to proper shape, size and angle with frequent trimmings. A general rule to keep in mind about trimming goat's feet is that the hoof's hairline should be almost parallel to the ground and the more often trimming is done the less time and energy per trimming it takes, and the more well behaved the goats will be during the trimming. Also, there is a smaller chance of the goat developing foot problems such as hoof rot if the owner is working with the goat's feet regularly and frequently.

One of the most common problems is the development of foot rot. This disease is caused by a mixed infection of two bacteria, Fusobacterium necrophorum andBacteroides nodosus, which are brought into an area by way of contaminatedfeet. Wet soils and filth increase the possibility of disease outbreaks. Also, injuries to the feet enhance the transmission of foot rot, although it usually does not occur when the soil temperature is less than 40 degrees F (4.5 degrees C). Generally, thisdisease starts as an inflammation between the toes of the foot, later spreading under the horn. As it continues, it causes a separation between horn and skin, causing varying degrees of pain and lameness.

The foot rot bacteria require an anaerobic (without oxygen) environment to survive. Therefore, in order to correct this problem, the hoof must be trimmed back to the point of separation so that the area will be exposed to the air. This also rids the hoof of a potential "pocket" in which dirt and manure could contribute to an anaerobic environment. The foot is then treated with anantibiotic spray, or soaked in a 10% formalin, copper sulfate or zinc sulfate solution and kept off contaminated fields or muddy yards for at least two weeks to avoid reinfection. A walk­through foot bath filled with saturated copper sulfate or zinc sulfate solution will also aid in maintaining sound, healthy feet; provided the foot bath is kept free of contamination from manure, rain and run­off.

An added benefit to proper hoof trimming is that some foot and leg problems can be ''cured'' by corrective trimming. If the hindlegs are postlegged or too straight, leaving the toes a little long may help give the leg more angle. Vice­versa, a sickle­hocked leg will benefit from trimming the toes short to a greater than 450 angle. If the legs toe out, trimming the total inner claw shorterand lower on each foot will help. If hooves have spread claws, then cutting the inner walls more than the outer walls, is good corrective hoof trimming, provided it is done frequently and in short intervals.

In summary, a conscientious effort at a good foot care program will keep goats looking better, healthier and more productive.
Mountain Goatee
Mountain Goatee
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats Empty Riverside County farm preparing for Disney goat reunion

Post by RamblerNash Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:50 pm

Riverside County farm preparing for Disney goat reunion

Animals being moved from park in Anaheim to make room for "Star Wars" land

Tom Tucker, CBS Local 2 Morning Anchor, thomas.tucker@cbslocal2.com
POSTED: 08:13 AM PST Jan 12, 2016 

One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats Disneyland-s-Sleeping-Beauty-Castle

RIVERSIDE, Calif. -  A Southern California farm is preparing for a Disney goat reunion.

The Press Enterprise reports that 11 goats will be among the petting zoo animals permanently leaving Disneyland for life on the Murrieta farm. The farm is already home to four former Disneyland goats.

Disney is also sending sheep and donkeys to the farm.

The animals are being moved because the Big Thunder Ranch area is closing permanently to make for a 14-acre "Star Wars" land.

Disney closed several attractions to make space for the land. Some closures are permanent and others will last at least a year.

Disney officials say the new area will be an immersive experience for visitors, with a spaceship ride and a cantina like the one in the "Star Wars" films.

http://www.kesq.com/news/riverside-county-farm-preparing-for-disney-goat-reunion/37391280

One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats 258310255 
>>>TNTBS's YouTube Channel<<<
RamblerNash
RamblerNash
GURU HUNTER
GURU HUNTER

Back to top Go down

One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats Empty Re: One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats

Post by Ponee Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:06 am

Please keep One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats Goat-72 Goat posts in this one thread.  It is making Dinar Daily look like an  One Goat-tastic thread in honor of Mountain Goats 3SI1qBh0y+cgAXaY0PIYFfYdf7bkoL7ATDNS6We6x+kzOxm+tYy3+B70eQFSiQAdxAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC (ass) on Twitter and the Newsletter since ALL POSTS are auto tweeted and sent to the newsletter. 

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum