Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds

Go down

Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds  Empty Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds

Post by Ponee Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:07 am

Don't Use These Lame Acronyms If You Don't Want to Get Nabbed by the Feds

Criminals always slip up. They leave behind fingerprints. Hair. A cigarette butt.
A telltale acronym.

TYOP (tell you on phone), TOL (talk offline) and LDL (let’s discuss live) are red flags for prosecutors combing through the e-mail transcripts of Wall Street traders suspected of illegal activity. No need for a crime lab. A simple search -- Control-F on the computer keyboard -- has become one of investigators’ favorite weapons to uncover possible lawbreaking, according to defense attorneys and current and former prosecutors who agreed to speak on condition of anonymity.

Just taking a conversation offline can be enough for a presumption of shady activity
“Taking a conversation offline provides evidence of intent because if you’re trying to cover your tracks, you probably know what you’re doing is wrong,” said Eugene Ingoglia, a partner at Morvillo LLP and former assistant U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York.

Phrases such as “call my cell” and “let’s go off e-mail” remain popular among the people who plot insider trades or the rigging of some of the world’s biggest markets. New expressions and acronyms pop up all the time, and authorities say they build lists of favored terms.

Evasion techniques can get creative. Raj Rajaratnam, the fund manager convicted in 2011 of insider trading, would write “fon” instead of “phone.” Prosecutors said they suspected the intentional misspelling was meant to distract the all-seeing electronic Javert of Control-F.

Suggestive Phrases

Investigators for the Securities and Exchange Commission and Justice Department get so many e-mails they can’t possibly review them all without using Control-F, said Reed Brodsky, a partner at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP who prosecuted Rajaratnam when he was with the U.S. Southern District.

“They use terms to find evidence of whether someone is trying to hide their activities because evidence of a cover-up is frequently more potent than the evidence of the alleged crime,” Brodsky said.

Simply highlighting suggestive phrases isn’t enough, of course. In many instances, traders have an honest need to talk about complicated deals in person or over the phone. And homing in on a suggestion to go off e-mail is usually only the start. Authorities then have to go through hours of records in what one prosecutor called a thoroughly laborious process to gather evidence that a crime was committed.

Sometimes, though, just taking a conversation offline can be enough for a presumption of shady activity. In 2010, U.S. senators obtained internal e-mails from Goldman Sachs Group Inc. in which bankers used the term LDL for “let’s discuss live” when sensitive topics arose. The revelations came during a push to ban the practice of federally insured banks trading for their own accounts. They contributed to the inclusion of the Volcker Rule, which limits how banks wager their money, in the Dodd-Frank Act later that year.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-02/to-nab-traders-prosecutors-hit-ctrl-f-for-suspicious-acronyms

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum