Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’

Go down

In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  Empty In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’

Post by Ponee Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:29 pm

An increasing number of people, including families with children and the elderly, have encountered deadly ambushes as they try to escape areas controlled the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant

In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’ – UN expert

In ISIL-controlled territory, 8 million civilians living in ‘state of fear’  07-31-2015ISIL_Rights

The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) has engaged in widespread and systematic human rights violations of the most serious kinds in Syria and Iraq, brutally forcing some 8 million people to “assimilate, flee or face death,” according to a United Nations expert.

“These violations may amount to genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes and widespread attacks on the civilian population,” according to Ben Emmerson, the UN Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while countering terrorism.
An estimated 8 million people live under ISIL territory in Iraq and the Syrian Arab Republic.

“The brutal nature and overall scale of abuses appears to be intended to reinforce the group’s absolute monopoly on political and social life and to enforce compliance and conformity among communities under its control. The result is that civilians who remain in ISIL-controlled areas live in a state of constant and almost unimaginable fear,” said Emmerson in his report, which was presented to the Human Rights Council last month.

ISIL has targeted religious and ethnic groups in Iraq and Syria and committed acts of violence against civilians because of their affiliation with them. These communities have been forced to assimilate, flee or face death, he explained. “In Iraq, violence against the Yezidis have been reported with men being separated from women and children, then taken to ditches and brutally executed,” he added.
Extremely vulnerable to violence and discrimination, women face sexual and gender-based violence, including sexual slavery, killings, enslavement, and rape. They are confined to their homes and forced to adhere to a strict dress code, pointed out the expert. And children as young as six have been raped, tortured and kidnapped.

Children as young as 8 years old have also been trained and used in military roles. “They are reportedly made to watch videos of beheadings, and mass executions to desensitize them to forms of violence employed by ISIL.”

The growing military capacity of ISIL also means the spread of fear and terror on civilians, Mr. Emmerson continued, emphasizing that more than 20,000 foreign fighters have now joined the ranks of non-State armed groups from about 80 countries around the world.

Addressing the military response by the international coalition of States, led by the United States, he said that civilians living in ISIL-controlled territory are mainly residing in urban areas where many of the coalition air strikes have been performed. It has also been reported that ISIL strategically places its fighters among civilians, in civilian areas or uses hospitals and schools as military bases, to provoke civilian casualties in the event of attacks by the coalition.

The UN Rapporteur then called attention to the lack of transparency with coalition operations in Iraq and Syria.

“Each nation participating in the air war operates under unique rules of engagement, and transparency levels differ significantly,” the expert noted. While air strikes are carried out by different sources, it is difficult to know which States were responsible for an event and when they will occur.

The Special Rapporteur recalled the coalition states’ obligations under international law to ensure that their military operations are “transparent and accountable,” and that any civilian death resulting from these operations is “promptly, independently and impartiality” investigated.

Highlighting the failure by the Security Council to take appropriate and immediate action to protect civilians in affected areas, Mr. Emmerson also stressed the need for the international coalition of States engaged in military acts against ISIL to ensure that measures are put into place to protect civilians and prevent further casualties.

Experts like Mr. Emerson work on a voluntary basis; they are not UN staff and do not receive a salary for their work. They are independent from any government or organization and serve in their individual capacity.

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=51542&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed#.VbuvSvmzpU0

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum