Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia

2 posters

Go down

Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia Empty Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia

Post by Ponee Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:38 pm

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman greeted President Obama as he arrived with first lady Michelle Obama in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday. The president cut short a trip to India to pay his respects after the death of King Abdullah. (Reuters)

Barack Obama was in Riyadh on Tuesday to pay his respects to the late Saudi King Abdullah. His visit, for which he cut short a much-hyped trip to India, underscores how important the U.S.-Saudi relationship remains to the American leadership. On social media, however, much of the attention has focused on something else: His wife's attire.

As noted by the Associated Press, Michelle Obama did not wear a headscarf or veil Tuesday. In Saudi Arabia, that's unusual: The country is one of the few on Earth where women are expected to cover their heads, and many Saudi women wear niqabs.

Exceptions are made for foreigners, however, and Michelle – who did wear loose clothing that fully covered her arms – appears to have been one of them. In photographs from the official events, other foreign female guests are also shown not wearing headscarves. In the past, Saudi leaders have met with a number of other foreign females without headscarves in the past.

More than 1,500 tweets using the hashtag #ميشيل_أوباما_سفور (roughly, #Michelle_Obama_unveiled) were sent Tuesday, many of which criticized the first lady. Some users pointed out that on a recent trip to Indonesia, Michelle had worn a headscarf. Why not in Saudi Arabia?

The response wasn't entirely negative – Ahram Online notes that some Twitter users said Michelle shouldn't be criticized too much, it being a short, impromptu trip and all. Saudi state television did show images of Michelle and her uncovered head, despite some claims that they had digitally obscured her (a widely circulated video with the first lady entirely blurred seems to have been an amateur production).

Still, the Obamas' trip to Saudi Arabia comes at a time of remarkable

international criticism of Saudi Arabia's human rights record, prompted largely by the flogging of blogger Raif Badawi for insulting Islam. The trip was apparently designed to be apolitical – Obama has said he was "unlikely" to discuss Badawi's case with the new Saudi king.

But in Saudi Arabia, the simple act of not covering your head can be political, intentionally or not.

2015-01-31

By Adam Taylor January 27

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2015/01/27/michelle-obama-forgoes-a-headscarf-and-sparks-a-backlash-in-saudi-arabia/

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia Empty Re: Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia

Post by Kevind53 Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:52 pm

Credit where credit is due ... good for her! Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia 2218296283

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia 2805820865  Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia 2805820865  Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia 2805820865  Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum