Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2024 5:58 am by RamblerNash

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

» Frat President Charged With Stealing $267K to Buy Worthless Iraqi Dinars
Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:05 pm by RamblerNash

» Fact Check: NO Record 'Quantum Financial System' Exists Beyond Claims In Videos, Online Articles
Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2024 6:15 pm by RamblerNash

Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals

2 posters

Go down

Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals Empty Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals

Post by Ponee Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:22 pm

Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals Hands-behind-bars-in-prison-or-jail-Shutterstock-800x430

People with full-blown psychopathy are generally remorseless, callous, don’t take responsibility for their actions, lie and manipulate others, says Sheilagh Hodgins, a professor at the University of Montreal and at Sweden’s Karolinska Institute.

Most end up in the criminal justice system, where they are subjected to periodic punishment like other incarcerated people, she says. But new research co-led by Hodgins suggests that not only does punishment have no corrective effect for these people, they also mentally process it in a completely different way than anybody else, even other violent criminals.

The results of the study suggest that those with psychopathy don’t understand or process punishment in a normal way and that different rehabilitation techniques should be undertaken at a young age for people with behavioral problems that might signal psychopathy, Hodgins says.

In the study, published in The Lancet Psychiatry, the researchers looked at 32 violent offenders with antisocial personality disorder, 12 of whom also had pronounced psychopathy, and compared them to 18 mentally healthy non-criminals. Marked differences were seen in the brains of the 12 psychopathic criminals compared to the other antisocial offenders and healthy civilians.

These divergences were picked up by a functional magnetic resonance imaging, which analyzes the activity of neurons. While in the scanner, participants completed a matching game in which, midway through, they began to be assigned a diminishing number of “points” for choosing certain shapes, a type of “punishment” that normal and non-psychopathic offenders picked up on, which led them to change their behavior. But the psychopathic participants didn’t alter their actions; unlike others, they didn’t seem to understand that by failing to change, they were hurting themselves (in the context of the game). And this failure to respond to punishment translates into their actions in normal circumstances, she says.

In normal people, punishment or censor shows people that their actions harm others and will not be tolerated, Hodgins says. And this signal is usually sufficient to change behavior. But not so in psychopathy, which entails “seeing rewards everywhere, but no negative consequences,” she says.

Psychopathic people showed different activation patterns in the areas of the brain known as the posterior cingulate and insula, which are involved in learning from punishments and rewards, and involved in changing behavior when unexpected outcomes occur, she says. These people also had reductions of the brain’s gray matter in the anterior rostral prefrontal cortex and temporal poles, regions involved in empathy as well as in the processing of pro-social emotions like guilt and embarrassment.

Hodgins says the study suggests that more work needs to go into understanding how to treat these people early in life; as kids, they pretty much all have marked behavioral problems. “I think the solution is to invest all of our money in children,” she says.

Although she doesn’t have a particular program in mind, because a proven method doesn’t exist, she said that “we need to figure out a way to get [people with psychopathy] to see punishment as a signal” to change their behavior. 

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/why-punishment-doesnt-help-psychopathic-criminals/

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals Empty Re: Why punishment doesn’t help psychopathic criminals

Post by Goldiegirl Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:29 pm

ponee wrote:

I

In normal people, punishment or censor shows people that their actions harm others and will not be tolerated, Hodgins says. And this signal is usually sufficient to change behavior. But not so in psychopathy, which entails “seeing rewards everywhere, but no negative consequences,” she says.

Psychopathic people showed different activation patterns in the areas of the brain known as the posterior cingulate and insula, which are involved in learning from punishments and rewards, and involved in changing behavior when unexpected outcomes occur, she says. These people also had reductions of the brain’s gray matter in the anterior rostral prefrontal cortex and temporal poles, regions involved in empathy as well as in the processing of pro-social emotions like guilt and embarrassment.

Ponne, I actually watched a program about this. It was comparing the brains of many psychopathic behaviors such as sociopaths, narcissistic personality disorder and a few other ones.

Their brains just don't have the capacity to express emotion the way a normal person does. They actually don't feel remorse or levels of emotions that others do.

When I was in Homeopathic College, we asked why these types of people can be used to study Homeopathic remedies to treat these disorders. We were told because they have rights and can't be used as guinea pigs unless they volunteer.
Goldiegirl
Goldiegirl
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum