Dinar Daily
Welcome to Dinar Daily Discussions.

Logging in with your USERNAME allows you to participate in discussions, see what has recently been posted, and other options. Guests can post but they do have limited abilities.

We are NOT a guru forum. We are a dinarian forum. The opinions expressed on the forum do not reflect the of opinion of Dinar Daily specifically, but rather reflect the views of the individual posters only.

Disclamer:

We are in compliance with, "Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

Get Daily Updates of the NEWS & GURUS in your EMAIL
CHECK YOUR EMAIL for VERIFICATION

Enter your email address:

Need a cheap and hearty way to feed a hungry family? DinarDailyUpdates?bg=330099&fg=FFFFFF&anim=1

Buy and Sell

Need a cheap and hearty way to feed a hungry family?

Go down

Need a cheap and hearty way to feed a hungry family? Empty Need a cheap and hearty way to feed a hungry family?

Post by Ponee on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:09 pm

Need a cheap and hearty way to feed a hungry family? This delicious but super easy pulled pork can be thrown together in minutes, frozen until needed, then slow cooked to perfection. Best of all, it feeds 8-10 people with a $5 cut of meat (but tastes so good that no one will ever know!)

Need a cheap and hearty way to feed a hungry family? Easyfreezerpulledporksquare2

Pulled pork is one of those recipes that always intimidated me.  Until, that is, I actually tried it and discovered not just how ridiculously easy it is to make, but how inexpensive it is to make a delicious, hearty meal for a crowd that even the pickiest eaters in the bunch will RAVE about!

The first time I made it I had planned to use pork shoulder (also known as Boston Butt), but the butcher at Publix was inexplicably out of all pork shoulders.  When I told her I was planning to make pulled pork, she recommended I use a picnic cut instead, which is one of the cheapest cuts of meat, but works just as well.  I was a little skeptical when I saw I could get a huge chunk of meat for just five dollars, but I decided to trust the butcher.  After all, she’s never steered me wrong before!

Well.  Let me just tell you that I have now made this easy freezer pulled pork recipe for a crowd several times, and it is always a huge hit!  My $5 chunk of meat easily feeds 8 people, with enough for seconds (and even some thirds!)  It is also a nice “cheater” freezer recipe that can be prepared ahead as part of a freezer cooking day, then frozen until needed.   Seriously, this one is a winner through and through.

This recipe can be started in the morning and ready to hit the table for dinner with little effort but a ton of flavor!

Ingredients

• 2 2-3 pound pork shoulder (also called pork butt or Boston Butt)
  • salt & pepper
  • 1/2 sweet onion
  • 2 cups barbecue sauce
  • 2 cans Root Beer
  • 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
  • 2 tablespoons liquid smoke (optional)
  • rolls or hamburger buns

Instructions

[list=instructions]
[*]Rub meat with salt and pepper; set aside.
[*]Chop onion; set aside.
[*]In medium bowl, whisk together barbecue sauce, Root Beer, seasoned salt, and liquid smoke until smooth then add chopped onion.
[*]Divide meat into two gallon-size Ziploc bags. (Be sure to label bags before using!) Divide sauce in half and pour over meat; freeze until needed.
[*]Thaw in refrigerator; pour contents into slow cooker and cook on low heat for 8 hours. Pull meat apart with fork then serve on rolls or hamburger buns
[/list]

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 8 hours
Number of servings (yield): 8-10

Read more at http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/2014/07/16/easy-freezer-pulled-pork/#rMcVfhDOdrX4kExE.99
Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Need a cheap and hearty way to feed a hungry family? Empty Re: Need a cheap and hearty way to feed a hungry family?

Post by Billyg on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:26 pm

A slow cooker will do it every time. It has been one of my secrets for a long time.
Billyg
Billyg
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Need a cheap and hearty way to feed a hungry family? Empty Re: Need a cheap and hearty way to feed a hungry family?

Post by Ponee on Tue May 10, 2016 6:57 pm

YEP!!!! SLOW COOKERS are the way to go !  No slaving over the stove all day !

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum