Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands

2 posters

Go down

Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands Empty Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands

Post by Ponee Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:19 pm

Fed Economist Explains Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands

Apr. 7, 2014, 4:39

Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands Screen%20shot%202014-04-06%20at%207.33.50%20pm
David Andolfatto

One of the funny things about Bitcoin is the way its terminology seems rooted in ancient monetary history.

First of all, there's the fact that it has "coin" in its name, harkening back to an increasingly irrelevant aspect of the monetary system.

And then there's the fact that to obtain coins you have to "mine" them by having your computer expend tons of electricity on seemingly pointless tasks. It seems very barbaric and ancient. And it's one reason that Bitcoin has gotten a lot of criticism.

But maybe the terminology is bad and the criticism is unwarranted.

David Andolfatto is an economist with the St. Louis Fed who recently made a presentation all about Bitcoin. Our Rob Wile interviewed him, and at one point, Andolfatto articulated
something on the above matter better than pretty much anyone we have heard:

BI: How have your opinions on Bitcoin evolved since that first post?
DA: Early on, I thought, 'This was kind of silly,' and I kind of questioned the role of the miners, these miners who are mining bitcoin. And it led to the analogy of people mining for gold. I recall reading a blog post by Paul Krugman, who criticized Bitcoin. He was saying exactly what I was thinking: that this intensive effort to mine for gold ...We don't need more physical commodities. All that has to happen is the price level has to adjust. Economic theory says that kind of mining is inefficient.
I shared in that opinion, but I continued to read about it, and it struck me that that analogy was incorrect — that in fact what these miners were, was mislabeled. They were performing a communal service, a record-keeping service which is critical to any money system. Mining was a red herring, it's just one way to reward record keepers for their service, and that protocol could function even with constant supply.
This is really deep on multiple levels.

First of all, he's correct that mining is a flawed analogy. "Miners" are being rewarded for performing a task of network administration and transaction verification. One beauty of the system is that it doesn't need a centralized authority to confirm transactions because the computers on the seem are incented to take on that role.

And the last point is key too: There's actually no need for "more" coins. The creation of coins serves as a way of giving a fee to the miners (transaction verifiers) but it's not like a real commodity where you could ever have a true shortage that would require you to dig up some more. Bitcoins are infinitely divisible, and the price could rise infinitely, so there's plenty to work with. The only limiting factor is the amount of outside money people are willing to devote to it.
Bottom line: Andolfatto doesn't just understand Bitcoin well for a mainstream economist. He gets it and can articulate it better than even many Bitcoin advocates.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-bitcoin-mining-2014-4#ixzz2yFzyknHS
Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands Empty Re: Something About Bitcoin That Almost Nobody Understands

Post by judywhite Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:18 am

Still puzzled about the bitcoin magic? Check this out: http://bitcoindaily.com/bitcoin-daily-bitcoin-infographics/. This infographic might help you understand how it works and where you can spend it.

Bitcoin Daily- Your daily bitcoin news and update
judywhite
judywhite

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum