Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2024 5:58 am by RamblerNash

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

» Frat President Charged With Stealing $267K to Buy Worthless Iraqi Dinars
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:05 pm by RamblerNash

» Fact Check: NO Record 'Quantum Financial System' Exists Beyond Claims In Videos, Online Articles
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2024 6:15 pm by RamblerNash

Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe

Go down

Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe Empty Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe

Post by Purpleskyz Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:49 pm

Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" -
The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe

8 March, 2014

Share this story:
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email Share on print More Sharing Services
Follow us:

Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe Statueseasteurope_smallMessageToEagle.com - These enigmatic ancient stone statues, or "stone idols", as they are often called by locals are almost unknown to the outside world.

The statues, known as the "Polovtsian statues" are found in large numbers spread across Russia, southern Siberia, in eastern Ukraine, Germany, Central Asia and Mongolia.

Many of the Polovtsian statues represent male warriors wearing helmets, armor, and weapons, like swords, bows, quivers. Hats and purses can be seen on the female statues.

Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe Statueseaseurope2

In 2008, a team of archaeologists and conservators from Poland and Czech Republic undertook maintenance work on the Polovtsian anthropomorphic late medieval steles from the collection of the Veliklanadolskyi Forest Museum, at Komsomolsky Podsiolok in East Ukraine.

Their goal was to prevent the degradation of the sculptures caused by environmental factors and human activities, as well as to restore the aesthetics of the statues.
Aneta Gołębiowska-Tobiasz, a member of the team became strongly aware of the cultural value of the monumental sculptures - barely known in the rest of Europe, and decided to channel her efforts into research and the restoration of the stelae, which represent so majestically the cultural heritage of the Turkic people of the steppe zone of Eastern Europe.

De Gruyter Open has now published the "Monumental Polovtsian Statues in Eastern Europe. The Archaeology, Conservation and Protection" in its Open Access Book program, presenting the author's well-documented and illustrated history of the research on Cuman stone stelae.

Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe Statueseaseurope3

" Stone statues, indigenous to the early Turks, appeared in the vast territory of the Asian steppes, from Southern Siberia to Central Asia and across the foothills of the Ural Mountains. The custom originated among Cumans in Eastern Europe.

The skill of erecting anthropomorphic stelae required proficiency in processing different kinds of stone and wood, and was characterized by artistic value of representations, as well as by the timeless aesthetics of the canon," researchers write in their book "Monumental Polovtsian Statues in Eastern Europe. The Archaeology, Conservation and Protection".

Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe Statueseaseurope4

The art of creating stelae had been known in many cultural circles before it had appeared among the Turkic peoples. The tradition of constructing monumental stone sculptures originated in the in the Bronze Age cultures of Central and Middle Asia around the 4th millennium B.C. Anthropomorphic stelae were later created by the Kimmers and the Scythians.

Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe Stoneidolseasteurope

Stone statues associated with the early Turks appeared in a vast territory of the Asian steppes that stretches from the Southern foothills of the Ural Mountains, through Kazakhstan, to Mongolia.

Their origins and the cultural significance are interpreted in a variety of ways, and still many issues associated with their construction remain unclear.

The book delves into the phenomenon of the anthropomorphic sculptures in relation to the migration of the Turkic nomads, from the perspective of an archaeologist and conservator.

Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe Stonestatueseasteurope

With a visibly palpable passion, Gołębiowska-Tobiasz explores the diffusion of the stalae, the evolution of their canon, addressing alongside the latest hypothesis of the sculptures being related not only to religious beliefs but also of their possible political significance.

The art of erecting stale disappeared rather abruptly with the fall of the Polovtsians and the rapid spread of Islam. This book will mark a new perspective for the archeologists and historians on most versatile aspects of these imposing and yet neglected monuments.

"The book is not only innovative", says Igor Leonidovich Kyzlasov, Head of Medieval Archaeology at the Russian Academy of Sciences, and arguably, one of the finest scientists in this subject area, "but it also accurately documents the complex process, and the results of restoration and conservation of monuments"

According to Past Horizons "The Polovtsians conquered the area of the Azov steppes relatively early in the 11th century AD. The rich pastures and abundance of water in the new sprawling land under their control ensured the groups moved from nomadism towards seasonal horse pastoralism within a closed cycle of encampments.

In addition to favourable environmental conditions, a crucial role was played by the density of old kurgan cemeteries located in the watersheds of rivers.

Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe Statueseaseurope5

The Polovtsians used these previously erected mounds as burial or cult places, often putting athropomorphic statues on their summits. In this way, they used the already sacred spaces during both funeral ceremonies."

Hopefully the forgotten and neglected Polovtsian statues will now be better preserved for future generations. It would be a great pity if bit of valuable history was lost once again.

MessageToEagle.com

Follow MessageToEagle.com for the latest news on Facebook and Twitter !

Read more: http://www.messagetoeagle.com/stoneidolseasteurope.php#ixzz2vQTZVsHw

Thanks to: www.oom2.com

Out Of Mind
www.oom2.com
Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe 2245507099Striking Ancient "Stone Idols" - The Forgotten Polovtsian Statues Of Eastern Europe 2245507099
Purpleskyz
Purpleskyz
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum