Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Weapons research for self-defense I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Weapons research for self-defense I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Weapons research for self-defense I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Weapons research for self-defense I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Weapons research for self-defense I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Weapons research for self-defense I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Weapons research for self-defense I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Weapons research for self-defense I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Weapons research for self-defense I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Weapons research for self-defense I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Weapons research for self-defense I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Weapons research for self-defense I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Weapons research for self-defense I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Weapons research for self-defense I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Weapons research for self-defense I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Weapons research for self-defense I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Weapons research for self-defense I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Weapons research for self-defense I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Weapons research for self-defense I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Weapons research for self-defense I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Weapons research for self-defense

+2
doodoo
SEBtopdog
6 posters

Go down

Weapons research for self-defense Empty Weapons research for self-defense

Post by SEBtopdog Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:13 pm

Ladies and gents: I am finally truly motivated to shop for a gun for self-defense. I know some of you have weapons, and I wonder if you could give me some input or recommend a place online to research my options before going into a gun shop and range. I am a small person with minimal physical strength, so I'd be looking for something not very large or heavy and that also doesn't have much of a recoil. Do you know if there's anything that would fit those requirements? I'm also going to talk again with the men I work with, who have been after me for years to acquire a weapon. With "maroons" like Salazar saying women can't be trusted to know when we're truly threatened and just blow a whistle, throw up on the guy, go to a "safe zone", call a cop, etc., I am appalled. While a whistle may not prevent a rape, our government in its wisdom will provide birth control. Isn't that just peachy. Of course, they also want young women to register for the draft and fight on the front lines, but that's a topic for another day!
Sorry, I'm done with my rant. Any advice from our Dinar family will be appreciated. Thanks!

Weapons research for self-defense Emoticon-animal-028

Keep smiling ... It'll make 'em wonder what you're up to!

Weapons research for self-defense Bump~0 Will someone please let the RV Widget out of the jar?
SEBtopdog
SEBtopdog
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Weapons research for self-defense Empty Re: Weapons research for self-defense

Post by doodoo Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:22 pm

Sebtopdog - I'm 62 and bought my first firearm last May. Several robberies in the neighborhood convinced me to act on something that I had been considering for some. Here's the method I used for deciding which pistol to buy.

1) Google handguns and read as much as you can about calibers, sizes, weights etc.
2) After learning as much as you can, head to a couple of shops and explain to the salespeople your situation. The three shops I went to were more than happy to introduce me to handguns and share their knowledge. DO NOT BUY YET!
3) Go to a local firing range. They typically sell firearms as well as operate the range. They also will have a vast array of models that you can rent for the range. Explain to them you are a first timer and they will happily discuss your needs.
4) Ask them questions, ie, what would you recommend for me given my size, strength, etc.
5) Rent their recommendation and go to the range. They will give you a primer about what to do, how to load, etc. You'll have to buy ammo and rent ear protectors and eye protection (although I wear my reading glasses).
6) Shoot 1/2 box of ammo, paying attention to how the gun feels in your hands, how the trigger feels, and how much kick it has. Ask them if you can try another model/manufacturer maybe larger, smaller, revolver, etc. Make sure it's the same caliber since you still have 1/2 of ammo left
7) 2 guns is probably all that you want to try while shopping. DO NOT BUY YET!
8) Repeat step 1. Now you have actually shot 2 pistols and can maybe make more sense of the info you may find. In your google searches look for reviews and see what they say about various models.
9) Repeat steps 3 - 8 several times trying different sizes, weights, caliber, etc
I went a total of 6 times and tried 4 different calibers, 3 different sizes, and numerous manufacturers and finally decided on Glock 26 gen4 which is a 9 mm caliber pistol. I liked everything about it - it felt like it was made for me.

After you make the decision, purchase it either from the range (which I did because the guy spent a lot of time and showed great patience with me) or from one of the other stores you visited where you may have been impressed with the salesperson.

In my state, they had to do a background check via telephone which took about 10 minutes.

After your purchase, enroll and attend a gun safety class and possibly a self defense class. The range offered these and the Sheriff's office of your county most assuredly does also.

Last piece of advice, practice with your gun often at the firing range.
Most importantly, do not fear your handgun, but show it the utmost respect for it at all times. It is a lethal weapon and could save you and your family's lives at some point (God forbid). It also could be the cause of a whole lot of heartache and loss of freedom if not stored and handled with the extreme respect that it so deserves.

Hope this helps you some. It's just how I approached arming myself and I believe I did it the right way. Good luck

SENATOR DOODOO
Support Term Limits for US Congress
doodoo
doodoo
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:37 pm

Great answer, doodoo!

Weapons research for self-defense 2218296283

Back to top Go down

Post by SEBtopdog Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:58 pm

Thanks very much, doodoo. That is absolutely awesome advice!
No wonder you're a senator.....You have more smarts than 99.9% of the folks in Washington, DC! Weapons research for self-defense 1261280965

Weapons research for self-defense Bump~0 Will someone please let the RV Widget out of the jar?
SEBtopdog
SEBtopdog
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by aksafeone Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:38 am

SEB: You might consider a .380 automatic or a .40 cal S & W. Both are decent autos and both can have laser sight put on them. My daughter has a .380 and feels quite comfortable with it. My wife prefers a .38 S & W 2" barrel revolver and is quite proficient with it (but that caliber may or may not put an attacker down for the count. I prefer my .357 Colt for a revolver and .40 S & W for an automatic. I shot competition for years and have those autos also - .22; .38 and two .45's.
The all time intruder weapon is a 12 gauge shotgun - NO one feels comfortable looking down the bore of one of those. The disadvantage is they are longer than a hand gun and more cumbersome.
What ever you get make sure that you feel comfortable with it and spend enough time on a range ro gain proficiency - you don't have to be a Master to protect yourself, just good enough at close ranges to get the job done.
One thing to remember is that these things have size and weight. That is important when you are going to use them but it is also important when you consider carrying one. Most gun shops can assist you with holsters, carrying cases and recommendations based on your personal needs and situations.
Personally I enjoy shooting, collecting and caring for firearms. Hunting and target shooting were things that I grew up doing. Of course where I live they are a necessity for protection against the larger game animals - we have bear and moose in our yard quite often and either can take you out in a heartbeat.
aksafeone
aksafeone
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevind53 Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:46 am

Yep nothing beats a 12 gauge for intimidation, especially a pump. Something about the snick snick of the round being chambered lets you know you just potentially became the target of some serious firepower. Size and weight can be reduced, by purchasing a tactical shot gun. It may or may not be legal, depending on the laws in your state. The bigger issue to me though is the recoil, a 12 gague kicks like a mule. It's a big round with a lot of powder behind it.

One thought, while you want a large enough caliber to provide a good chance of knock down in the event you are forced to use your gun for protection, it might be a good idea to also have a similar model in .22 caliber for practice. Those big rounds can get pricey, but .22 long rifle can still be had for a few cents each. Some companies used to make handguns with interchangeable barrels for just that reason. I have not seen one of those in quite some time though. This is what I am doing with my wife. She wants to learn to shoot, so we are starting out with a .22 so she can learn sight picture, stance etc. When she's comfortable there, we'll move up to a larger caliber.

I have not shot a .40 yet, but I trained with the .45 in the military and am very comfortable with that. Just find one that will give good knock down power and is comfortable for you. Don't be afraid to ask to try a different gun if it does not feel right in your hands. It has got to fit you if you are going to handle it competently, you hands will not grow to fit it.

Also check the laws in your state, here in Vermont believe it or not, no permit is needed for concealed carry or ownership.

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

Weapons research for self-defense 2805820865  Weapons research for self-defense 2805820865  Weapons research for self-defense 2805820865  Weapons research for self-defense 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by SEBtopdog Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:54 pm

Thanks so much, you guys. I knew I'd get some great advice here, and you sure gave me a lot to consider. It is very much appreciated. You're the best!
Weapons research for self-defense 2834342768Weapons research for self-defense 2243815925

SEBtopdog
SEBtopdog
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rick152 Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:33 pm

Sebbie, I don't know where to search on line but I do know that police have been shying away from the clock 9mm, in fact a lot of the 9mm's.(the 9's seem to jam too often) Police and air marshall's gun of choice has shifted to a HK 40.Compact with very little kickback. They come in (along with a wide array of accesories) compact and standard size along with police / marshall ( a bit bigger and larger magazine's) The HK, has the very best warrenty in the world. It is a german weapon and I was told literally when I bought the model I have that if you threw it onto the ground, ran it over with you're car they would honor the warrenty and fix the weapon for Life. Hope this helps. Happy shopping.

The HK is also made of composite materials and is much lighter than conventioal weapons in their caliber class.

Love understands, Love supports, comforts and, cares for. Love forgives. Love also honors, respects and, believes
so please;
Love each other and yourself ...rick152
rick152
rick152
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rick152 Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:48 pm

When you practice try and see if the range will allow 2 round blasts. Always use the 2 round blast when confronted to assure the perp has little chance of return fire. Most ranges however will not allow you to go in alone and require your accomniment to be licensed, as to many times people have rented weapons and comitted suicide. Also in most cases you will have to take a written gun safety lesson and pass before you can even apply to get a permit to own. You're best bet is to , as doodoo said, find a range you like and do everything in one place. When I first approached this place in life I took a law enforcement friend with me, for instruction and guidance. That proved to be of such a great help.

Love understands, Love supports, comforts and, cares for. Love forgives. Love also honors, respects and, believes
so please;
Love each other and yourself ...rick152
rick152
rick152
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Terbo56 Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:00 pm

A 12 gauge pump will work superbly, loaded with double 00 buck- Good for 100 yards, and will dust 15-20 people, @ close range, I'd say 25-30 feet- They'll enjoy it JUST before they hit the ground DEAD-Aim at their forehead, and it WILL be finished business-Just keep a 20 foot chain, and your pickup truck handy-Twisted Evil
Terbo56
Terbo56
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevind53 Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:45 pm

There are a couple of drawbacks to a 12 gauge,
1. It is hard to maneuver in a tight space because of it's length. IF your state allows you to own a tactical shotgun, (not all do) you'll be better off as they are a bit shorter barreled.

2. If you touch one off without hearing protection, especially in a closed space you will likely cause some hearing damage. All it takes is one shot, I can testify to that personally.

3. Because of the weight and kick, they can be hard for a small person to handle. My son first shot mine when he was about 12 or 13 and maybe 120 lbs wringing wet, knocked him right on his a double s. Not the most strategic position in a fire fight. :shock:

BTW I do own a 12 ga, two actually, a Mossberg bolt action with a 3 shot clip, and a Mossberg pump that holds five.

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

Weapons research for self-defense 2805820865  Weapons research for self-defense 2805820865  Weapons research for self-defense 2805820865  Weapons research for self-defense 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by aksafeone Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:25 pm

Yep, the ol' 12 gauge has it's draw backs alright, but in some cases it is the favored weapon (police, riot squads, etc.) I see that the police are using M-16s more of late - OK, if that fits the need.

To me the most important part is that the weapon fits the person and the person is comfortable with the weapon. Most home invasions happen so quickly that to get a cumbersome gun (shotgun or rifle) out and be effective one has to start when they see the person on the outside of the house - which usually does not happen. One usually awakes to find someone in the house already or the intruder is coming in the broken door hence the pistol or revolver (short gun syndrome).

Another thing to remember about short guns is that they are maneuverable ergo can be easily turned back upon the user i.e.: bend the wrist and point the weapon back into the stomach of the user. Happens if one does not act fast enough. Also one must be constantly aware of where the weapon is aimed - not nice to shoot ones toe off, rather embarrassing also. Get's to where after that one could be called "gimpy!"

When it comes to weapons - to each his/her own. Find one you feel comfortable with, get proficient with it and use sound judgement if you have find yourself in a position that would make you discharge it. One last thing - aim/shoot to kill. If you are protecting yourself and/or your loved ones then one has to take out the threat - and ensure it stays taken out - making a kill shot paramount for that situation. The main thing is to use this type of deadly force only as a last resort and only to defend life - property can always be replaced or repaired - lives can't. Rule of thumb - you come armed around me then I will come armed around you - I don't take a knife to a gun fight and I don't initiate the confrontation, however I will win it given equal opportunity.
aksafeone
aksafeone
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevind53 Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:47 pm

Good advice, go for center mass at all times. If you have to shoot, shoot to take them down never mind the fancy stuff.

We're actually in the trying out and seeing what feels good with my wife who wants to learn to shoot. Myself, I would just find a M1911 and be happy, I became very comfortable with them in the military and it is a gun that will put you down anywhere you get hit, but it's probably too large for the average woman's hand, especially someone with no experience. I'm actually leaning more toward a 9mm for her. I know, I know, it does not have the knockdown power of the larger calibers, but I suspect it will be a better fit in her hand and she'll be less intimidated by the recoil. But we will see when the weather improves and we can actually try a few out.

Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by doodoo Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:26 pm

If I can't put em down with 9 rounds from my Glock 26, then a gun isn't going to do me any good anyway. Weapons research for self-defense 3508649203 Weapons research for self-defense 3508649203 Weapons research for self-defense 3508649203

SENATOR DOODOO
Support Term Limits for US Congress
doodoo
doodoo
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Terbo56 Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:33 pm

Doodoo, you have to load the gun first- 'Throwing' ammo ain't gonna work-That's like the French and Indian war- The Confederates were throwing sticks of dynamite at the Indians, and the Indians were lighting them, and throwing them back-Weapons research for self-defense 3508649203Weapons research for self-defense 2834342768
Terbo56
Terbo56
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by aksafeone Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:01 pm

Well, Pilgrim ...... I gotta tell ya .....
aksafeone
aksafeone
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:19 pm

AR-15's with 30 round clips, one taped upside down for faster reloads! That should get the gun grabers goat!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevind53 Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:54 pm

The ridiculous part is even a bumble finger can change a clip in one or two seconds if they practice even a little. I saw a guy loose 12 rounds from a revolver in less than 3 seconds ... counting the reload, so are they next?

Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by doodoo Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:04 am

Well I'm a bit slower due to not having an opposable digit. I've been practicing though and getting much quicker.

Weapons research for self-defense 9k=Weapons research for self-defense Z
doodoo
doodoo
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Terbo56 Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:16 am

Do you 'paws' to re-load a clip?Weapons research for self-defense 3508649203
Terbo56
Terbo56
VIP Member