Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote

Go down

Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote Empty Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote

Post by Happy Life Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:59 pm

Islamist-led opposition favourites in Kuwait vote

by Omar Hasan and Wissam Keyrouz
AFP Global Edition

Feb 02, 2012 12:53 EST

Kuwaitis voted on Thursday in a snap
election for the wealthy Gulf state's fourth parliament in less than six
years, with pollsters predicting a solid victory for the Islamist-led
opposition.

<br/>

Ballots closed at 1700 GMT with people still inside polling stations.
The count began immediately at some centres, but results are not
expected until early on Friday.
The vote, which followed an
especially tense campaign marred by violence, seeks to end political
disputes that have damaged the country for years.
Female voters
make up 54 percent of the electorate, and 23 women are among 286
candidates standing for the 50-seat legislative body.
Early voter traffic was low but picked up rapidly later, especially in tribal constituencies where men stood in long queues.
The
state-run KUNA news agency said turnout was about 60 percent one hour
before the close, already higher than the 58 percent recorded in 2009
election.
In Sabah Al-Salem, a tribal area 20 kilometres (13 miles) south of Kuwait City, male voters showed up in large numbers with less than an hour to close of polling.
The voters sounded optimistic.
"I
think the opposition is going to win in an impressive way and this will
lead to stability and embarking on the delayed development plan," Mohammad al-Oteibi, a headmaster, told AFP.
"This
time I did not vote for the tribe's candidates. I picked candidates I
think will serve Kuwait better," 27-year-old government employee Khaled al-Azemi said.
Pollsters
and analysts expect the 400,000-strong electorate to deliver a
resounding victory for the Islamist-led opposition which has campaigned
vigorously for fundamental reforms and against corruption.
"We are very optimistic that the opposition will achieve a majority in the next parliament," former Islamist MP Waleed al-Tabtabai told AFP.
"I am hopeful that disputes will diminish because the opposition will strengthen its presence."
The snap poll was called after Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad Al-Sabah dissolved parliament in OPEC's third largest producer following unprecedented protests led by youths inspired by the Arab Spring.
The protests led to the resignation of the previous government and former prime minister Sheikh Nasser Mohammad al-Ahmad Al-Sabah who was replaced by another senior royal.
Some
voters expressed concern that the election, which came after one of the
most aggressive campaigns since Kuwait introduced democracy in 1962,
would not help restore stability.
"The atmosphere is unhealthy and
highly charged... because sectarian and tribal tensions are negatively
impacting our country," former oil minister Adel al-Sabeeh told AFP.
"The opposition is likely to boost its strength but I think we are headed for more disputes."
Others expressed similar worries.
"We are very frustrated and worried about what is happening in Kuwait," said one woman, Umm Saud, after voting in Jabriya, 15 kilometres (nine miles) south of Kuwait City.
"I am not optimistic this election will resolve our problems, but I pray that I am wrong."
Fatima Akbar, a former schoolteacher, said she is "hopeful with caution" the election will help stabilise the country.
"We
are worried about the conflicts in Kuwait, especially sectarian
tension" between the Sunni majority and Shiite minority, she said.
Tensions
between Sunnis and Shiites -- who make up 30 percent of Kuwaitis --
have intensified in recent months, mainly over regional issues such as Bahrain, Iran and Syria.
Shiite
candidates lamented last year's crackdown on their co-religionists in
Bahrain, while Sunni candidates warned of Shiite Iran's regional
ambitions.
On Monday, tribesmen burned the election tent of a
pro-government candidate after remarks deemed derogatory to a Bedouin
tribe. They also stormed offices of a TV station for hosting a
pro-government candidate.
About 30 international and 300 local observers have been allowed to monitor the election for the first time.
Kuwait
had a population of 3.6 million as of mid-2011, but 68 percent of those
are foreigners with Kuwaitis themselves numbering 1.17 million.
Kuwait
says it sits on 10 percent of global crude reserves and pumps around
3.0 million barrels of oil a day. Thanks to high prices, it has amassed
more than $300 billion (227,400 billion euros) in assets over the past
decade.

Source:

AFP Global Edition

Being HAPPY doesn't mean everything is perfect.
It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections!
Happy Life
Happy Life
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum