Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Vietnam: looking vulnerable   I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Vietnam: looking vulnerable   I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
Vietnam: looking vulnerable   I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Vietnam: looking vulnerable   I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Vietnam: looking vulnerable   I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Vietnam: looking vulnerable   I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Vietnam: looking vulnerable   I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Vietnam: looking vulnerable   I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Vietnam: looking vulnerable   I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Vietnam: looking vulnerable   I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Vietnam: looking vulnerable   I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Vietnam: looking vulnerable   I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Vietnam: looking vulnerable   I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Vietnam: looking vulnerable   I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Vietnam: looking vulnerable   I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Vietnam: looking vulnerable   I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Vietnam: looking vulnerable   I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Vietnam: looking vulnerable   I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
Vietnam: looking vulnerable   I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
Vietnam: looking vulnerable   I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

Vietnam: looking vulnerable

Go down

Vietnam: looking vulnerable   Empty Vietnam: looking vulnerable

Post by lexie Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:12 pm

December 16, 2011

Vietnam: looking vulnerable

As the economic outlook in the US and Europe deteriorates by the day, investors are asking which countries in southeast Asia would be hardest hit by the knock-on effects of a double-dip recession.

Leif Eskesen, a regional economist at HSBC in Singapore, reckons that Vietnam, which is going through an extended financial crisis of its own, is the most exposed to a downturn by some way because of its reliance on foreign trade and investment, weak corporate balance sheets, troubled banking sector and poor fiscal position.

Indonesia, which has a powerful domestic market and strong corporate balance sheets, will fare the best of the major southeast Asian economies.

To assess the relative vulnerabilities of Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam to a global downturn, HSBC looked at three factors:

The spill-over risks in terms of trade, finance and investor confidence; the strength of corporate and bank balance sheets; and the fiscal/policy room that governments have to respond.

Eskesen gave the five countries a relative vulnerability score of one to five on each factor and the conclusions will make particularly unpleasant reading for Vietnamese officials and investors.

Indonesia led the pack with an average score of 2 and Malaysia (2.3), Thailand (2.7) and the Philippines (3) were not too far behind. But Vietnam came in bottom of the class by some measure, with Eskesen giving the country a 5 for each factor.

Why did Vietnam fare so badly? Eskesen wrote:

In Vietnam, the spill-over risk is aggravated by external (wide current account deficit and low reserve coverage) and domestic imbalances (high inflation, a wide fiscal deficit and balance sheet vulnerabilities). Vietnam also has very limited policy room.

Given the sensitivity of officials in one-party, Communist-ruled Vietnam to bad press, it is unlikely that Vietnamese newspapers will be rushing to publish HSBC’s findings. Senior cadres have already instructed local journalists to refrain from reporting that the country suffers from Asia’s highest inflation rate (even though, at 19.8 percent year-on-year, it does).

But while, to borrow Warren Buffett’s aphorism, Vietnam is most exposed if the tide goes out, it will not be the only one in a dangerous state of undress.

The whole region is likely to suffer, Eskesen wrote, if the world faces another global financial crisis, which could be just as bad as 2008-09, “if not worse, considering that the advanced economies have fewer policy options this time around.”

He concluded:

While emerging market countries, including the ASEAN-5, have some capacity to implement counter-cyclical policies, they also have less room to move in than three years ago. (Financial Times)

http://www.vietfinancenews.com/2011/12/vietnam-looking-vulnerable.html#more

"WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE"
lexie
lexie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum