Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan

Go down

China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan   Empty China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan

Post by lexie Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:59 am

Dec 16, 2011 03:04 EST

China's bank deposits fall as investors sell yuan

Chinese investors withdrew hundreds of billions of yuan from major banks in the first 10 days of December, state media said Friday, on falling expectations the currency will strengthen.

Deposits fell 400 billion yuan ($62.8 billion) as the unit comes under the biggest selling pressure since the 2008 global downturn, with a slowing domestic economy and turmoil in Europe and the United States fuelling demand for the US dollar.

The withdrawals appear to have affected lending, with the big four banks issuing just 30 billion yuan in new loans in the 10-day period. Chinese banks gave out a total 562.2 billion yuan in November.

Half of the withdrawals were from the Bank of China, which has the largest foreign exchange business, the 21st Century Business Herald said, citing unidentified sources.

Other banks affected were the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, China Construction Bank and Agricultural Bank of China, the report said.

Depositors may be withdrawing funds because they no longer expect the yuan to appreciate strongly next year, it said.

Export-dependent China tightly controls the value of the currency, which critics say gives the country's manufacturers an unfair trade advantage by making their products artificially cheap.

As demand for Chinese shipments weakens, policymakers are expected to prevent a strong appreciation in the yuan to avoid a collapse in exports and widespread job losses in the manufacturing sector, a key engine of growth.

The yuan has touched the lowest point its tight trading band in 11 of the past 12 trading sessions as investors bought dollars and domestic exporters hoarded their greenbacks rather than exchange them for yuan.

The central bank has responded by setting the central parity rate, the daily midpoint of the yuan's allowed trading band, at a stronger rate than the weakest level of the previous day, in an apparent effort to stop the unit depreciating too quickly and deflect criticism from trade partners.

The yuan is allowed to trade 0.5 percent on either side of the midpoint.

Currencies of emerging economies have been under pressure as investors worried about the downturn in Europe and the United States buy US dollars, which are considered a safe haven during economic uncertainty.

Source: AFP Global Edition

http://www.newsmeat.com/news/meat.php?articleId=124158359&channelId=2951&buyerId=newsmeatcom&buid=3281

"WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE"
lexie
lexie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum