Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations

Go down

IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations Empty IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations

Post by lexie Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:47 pm

Nov 22, 2011 1:30 PM CT .

IMF Revamps Credit Lines to Lure Nations

The International Monetary Fund revamped its credit line program to encourage countries facing outside shocks to turn to the fund with few conditions attached, as European leaders fail to end their debt turmoil.

The Washington-based IMF said today the new instrument, the Precautionary and Liquidity Line, can be tapped by countries with strong economies currently facing short-term liquidity needs. Funding available will be capped at a percentage of countries’ contributions to the fund, limiting the role the instrument can play in preventing the debt crisis from spreading in Europe.

“The size is too small to be meaningful for Italy and Spain,” said Edwin M. Truman, a former U.S. assistant Treasury secretary who’s now a senior fellow with the Peterson Institute, a private, nonprofit, nonpartisan research organization in Washington. The countries’ economic policies may also prevent them from pre-qualifying for the credit line, he said.

The changes, which enable countries that pre-qualify to request IMF funds without having to make as many policy changes as with traditional loans, come as Europe’s crisis threatens to spread to France and Spain. The IMF is co-financing bailouts in Greece, Portugal and Ireland and is preparing to send a team to Italy for an unprecedented audit of that country’s efforts to cut its debt.

Effective Safety Net
“The reform enhances the Fund’s ability to provide financing for crisis prevention and resolution,” IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde said in an e-mailed statement. “This is another step toward creating an effective global financial safety net to deal with increased global interconnectedness.”

A country can request a Precautionary and Liquidity Line for six months with a limit of five times its quota, which for Italy would amount to about 45 billion euros ($61 billion). That compares with 440 billion euros of bonds and bills that the country is preparing to sell next year. For Spain, 23 billion euros would be available under the credit line.

If the countries apply for a two-year credit line, they could borrow twice as much, with the IMF reviewing their policies every six-months.

Countries with potential needs can also apply, as they did in the past under the Precautionary Credit Line that the new instrument replaces.

The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index pared losses, falling 0.2 percent to 1,190.76 at 2:27 p.m. in New York. The yield on 10- year Treasuries fell 1 basis point to 1.95 percent.

Pressure Mounting
European policy makers have yet to implement a package agreed to last month that includes an increase of their rescue funds, proposed guarantees of sovereign debt and a bid to attract more international loans. Germany today rejected calls from allies and investors to do more to counter the turmoil as Spain’s financing costs surged and pressure mounted on Greek political leaders to submit written commitments to austerity measures.

Even with the IMF new facility, “the story remains the same, we have no solid mechanism in place for Italy,” said Thomas Costerg, a European economist with Standard Chartered Bank in London. “Confidence could probably continue to slip until we get a better response.”

He said the credit line would be better suited for smaller countries such as Hungary.

The revamping of lending instruments is the second in 15 months as the IMF tries to get countries to request funding before crises develop.

Limited Conditions
One of the attractions for countries is the limited amount of conditions compared with traditional loans. Greece’s loan package includes measures to cut public pensions and to sell state assets.

The fund will continue to offer its Flexible Credit Line, which comes with no conditions for nations whose economies are fundamentally sound. It is used by Mexico, Poland and Colombia.

The IMF also said today it is merging existing lending instruments for emergency assistance in cases of natural disasters and post-conflict situations into the so-called Rapid Financing Instrument.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-22/imf-revamps-credit-lines-for-nations-facing-shocks-on-europe-debt-turmoil.html#

"WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE"
lexie
lexie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum