Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets

Go down

Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets Empty Italy's worried president steps in to calm markets

Post by matwms Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:09 pm

OME (Reuters) - Italy's president stepped in to try to calm markets on Wednesday after the country's borrowing costs raced to catastrophic levels, saying urgent action would be taken to end a political crisis.

Head of state Giorgio Napolitano, expressing alarm about a collapse in market confidence, said there was no doubt about the resignation of Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi once economic reforms were implemented by parliament within days.

When a financial stability law incorporating the reforms promised to European leaders was approved, Napolitano said he would rapidly hold consultations to end the crisis.

"Therefore, within a short time either a new government will be formed ... or parliament will be dissolved to immediately begin an electoral campaign," Napolitano said.

The president, who has played an increasingly active role in the crisis, said he had been obliged to issue his statement because of the pressure on government bonds, whose yields shot above a "red line" of 7 percent on Wednesday.

In a possible sign that he was preparing the way for a so-called "technical government" led by an independent outsider, Napolitano named former European Commissioner Mario Monti as senator for life.

Monti has been widely seen as the most likely leader of a government of technocrats to implement vital economic reforms and steer Italy through to new elections in 2013.

Markets have been clamoring for weeks for Berlusconi to depart because of his failure to push through painful austerity measures and disarray from a rebellion inside his own party.

But the 75-year-old media tycoon's pledge on Tuesday night to step down once vital economic reforms are passed instead accelerated the crisis at the center of the euro zone, with markets unnerved by the unorthodox postponement of his resignation and fears of extended political uncertainty.

Analysts said Italy was now in territory where Greece, Ireland and Portugal were forced to seek bailouts.

Berlusconi's insistence that the only way out was elections early next year, and deep political disagreement about the next move, only worsened the uncertainty, although two factions in his own PDL party said on Wednesday they opposed early polls.

In another indication of how serious the crisis of confidence is, spreads between Italian government paper and German bunds rose over another watershed of 500 basis points, reaching a record above 560.

FORCE THE PACE

An election would put Italy in limbo for several months and there was no sign of agreement on the urgent formation of a transitional government that could calm markets, but Napolitano clearly intends to force the pace.

Other politicians on Wednesday finally seemed to realize the urgent need to restore market confidence. A parliamentary source said lower house speaker Gianfranco Fini intended to have the financial stability law approved by Sunday.

"Italy must regain credibility and confidence as a country for us first of all to get out from a very dangerous squeeze on financial markets," said Napolitano, an 86-year-old former communist who has gone to the limits of his traditional powers to combat the crisis.

Italy's center-left opposition wants the urgent formation of a national unity government but its main leader, Pier Luigi Bersani, said this was unlikely because of resistance from the center right. He believed elections were likely.

Berlusconi and his closest allies say a government of national unity, including the left, or of technocrats, would be an undemocratic "coup" against the last election in 2008.

But a significant number of PDL deputies appear to oppose elections.

They fear the center-left victory predicted by opinion polls after Berlusconi's popularity slumped because of a string of sex and legal scandals, political errors and above all the pressure from foreign markets.

Analysts say one consequence of the crisis could be the collapse of Berlusconi's PDL as centrist parties try to woo its disgruntled members.

Berlusconi said that PDL party secretary and former justice minister Angelino Alfano, long his anointed successor, would be the center right's candidate for prime minister.

"I will resign as soon as the (budget) law is passed and, since I believe there is no other majority possible, I see elections being held at the beginning of February and I will not be a candidate in them," he told La Stampa newspaper.

Italy is in the eye of the euro zone debt storm because, as the region's third largest economy, it is viewed as too big to bail out. Its crisis therefore poses a real threat to the survival of the single currency.

Despite the new sense of urgency fueled by Wednesday's debacle in the markets, there are still wide disagreements both about the form of a new government and on budget and structural reforms to bring down Italy's huge debt and revive its long-stagnant growth.

One small opposition group, the Italy of Values party, said on Wednesday it would vote against the reforms.

EU inspectors were in Rome on Wednesday to begin a monitoring mission aimed at ensuring economic reforms are carried out as part of an agreement reached at a G20 summit last week. Most of the reforms are incorporated in the budget measures to be voted on by parliament.

The European Commission sent a letter to Italy this week requesting more details on the reforms and saying additional measures would be needed to meet the target of balancing the budget by 2013.

(Additional reporting by Paolo Biondi, Giselda Vagnoni, Francesca Piscioneri, Philip Pullella, James Mackenzie and Catherine Hornby; Editing by Andrew Roche)

matwms
Elite Member
Elite Member

http://www.ocalamobilenotary.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum