Dinar Daily
Welcome to Dinar Daily Discussions.

Logging in with your USERNAME allows you to participate in discussions, see what has recently been posted, and other options. Guests have limited abilities.

We are NOT a guru forum. We are a dinarian forum. The opinions expressed on the forum do not reflect the of opinion of Dinar Daily specifically, but rather reflect the views of the individual posters only.

Disclamer:

We are in compliance with, "Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

Join Us for Dinar Discussions and More -- We Keep it REAL

HomeSearchFAQLog inRegister
YOU MUST Sign in with your USERNAME to POST
Follow us on TWITTER
DINAR INFORMATION LINKS

PARTNER SITES
Key Words
Adam Montana, AdminBill, Benjamin Fulford, Currency Exchange, David Schmidt, Dinar, Dinar Guru, Dinar Recaps, Dinar Rv, Dinar Scam, Dr Clarke, Frank26, Gary Larrabee, Gurus, Guru Hunters, JerzyBabkowski, Kaperoni, Kenny, Monetary Reform, Mnt Goat, My Ladies, Okie, Poppy, RamblerNash, Ray Renfrow, Redenomination, Revaluation, Ssmith, TNTBS, Tnt Tony, WING IT, We Are The People, Willis Clark, WSOMN, Yosef, Zap
Share | 

Unreal !-Pastor’s corporal punishment advice scrutinized after child deaths 4hrs ago-

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
silkysand
VIP NewsHound
VIP NewsHound

PostSubject: Unreal !-Pastor’s corporal punishment advice scrutinized after child deaths 4hrs ago-   Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:19 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/pastor-corporal-punishment-advice-scrutinized-child-deaths-160004793.html

In recent years, several children have died after enduring extreme forms of corporal punishment from parents who had absorbed the controversial child-rearing advice of Tennessee pastor Michael Pearl. Now, the New York Times reports, Pearl himself is under fire.

In their self-published book, To Train Up a Child, Pearl, 66, and his wife Debi, 60, recommend the systematic use of "the rod" to teach young children to submit to authority. They offer instructions on how to use a switch for hitting children as young as six months, and describe how to use other implements, including a quarter-inch flexible plumbing line. Older children, the Pearls say, should be hit with a belt, wooden spoon or willow switch, hard enough to sting. Michael Pearl has said the methods are based on "the same principles the Amish use to train their stubborn mules."

There are 670,000 copies of the book in circulation, and it's especially popular among Christian home-schoolers such as Larry and Carri Williams of Sedro-Woolley, Wash. In September, local prosecutors charged them with homicide by abuse after their adopted daughter Hana, 11, was found naked and emaciated in the backyard, having died of hypothermia and malnutrition. She had been deprived of food for days at a time, and made to sleep in an unheated barn.

Hana, originally from Ethiopia, also had been beaten with a plastic tube, as recommended by Michael Pearl. Carri Williams had praised the book--which advises that "a little fasting is good training"--and had given a copy to a friend, local authorities say.

The Pearls aren't being charged. But Dr. Frances Chalmers, a state pediatrician who examined Hana's death, suggested to the Times that their teachings may have played a role in Hana's death. "My fear is that this book, while perhaps well intended, could easily be misinterpreted and could lead to what I consider significant abuse," she said.

That may also have happened in the case of Lydia Schatz, who was adopted from Liberia at the age of 4 by Kevin and Elizabeth Schatz of Paradise, Calif. She died last year, age 7, after her parents had whipped her for hours, with pauses for prayer. The Schatzes are both serving long prison terms, after Kevin Schatz pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and torture, and Elizabeth Schatz pleaded to voluntary manslaughter and unlawful corporal punishment. Like the Williamses, the Schatzes owned a copy of To Train Up a Child, and the local district attorney criticized it as a dangerous influence.

There was also Sean Paddock, of Johnson County, N.C., who died from suffocation in 2006, age 4, after he'd been wrapped tightly in a blanket. His mother Lynn Paddock, who said she had come across the Pearls' website, was charged with first-degree murder. Sean's siblings testified that they were beaten each day with a plumbing tube that the Pearls recommend.

The Pearls, along with many conservative Christians, say the Bible calls for corporal punishment. "To give up the use of the rod is to give up our views of human nature, God, eternity," they write in the book.

And Michael Pearl rejects the notion that his teachings bear any responsibility for the childrens' deaths. "If you find a 12-step book in an alcoholic's house, you wouldn't blame the book," he told the Times.

But other Christians appear to disagree. Crystal Lutton, who runs a Christian blog that opposes corporal punishment, told the Times that the Pearl's methods carry a big risk. "If you don't get results, the only thing to do is to punish harder and harder," she said.

Some Christian groups are working to pressure booksellers such as Amazon not to carry the Pearls' book.

The issue of corporal punishment had already been making headlines recently. Last week, a Texas woman posted online a video from 2004 that showed her father, a judge, whipping her with a belt when she was 16.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jahlives
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Unreal !-Pastor’s corporal punishment advice scrutinized after child deaths 4hrs ago-   Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:56 pm

silkysand wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/pastor-corporal-punishment-advice-scrutinized-child-deaths-160004793.html

The issue of corporal punishment had already been making headlines recently. Last week, a Texas woman posted online a video from 2004 that showed her father, a judge, whipping her with a belt when she was 16.

-------------

OMG! I saw the video of the judge beating his daughter and the Mom came into the scene and hit the girl as well. The shocker was not that he was beating her with a belt, but that his daughter has cerebral palsy. I just could not wrap my brain around that. In an interview, the judge referred to his daughter as "that child." Monster!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Terbo56
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Unreal !-Pastor’s corporal punishment advice scrutinized after child deaths 4hrs ago-   Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:01 pm

They, the parents are monsters,and should be jailed, then EXECUTED for beating a child with cerebral palsy, or beat them UNTIL the parents have cerebral palsy- That's my opinion- This kind of thing really smokes my oysters-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Purpleskyz
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Unreal !-Pastor’s corporal punishment advice scrutinized after child deaths 4hrs ago-   Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:19 pm

I am the mother of 4 and have never had to raise my hand to any of them. I am sickened by those that beat children. I don't care what a child has done.... they NEVER deserve to be beat.

Out Of Mind
www.oom2.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Unreal !-Pastor’s corporal punishment advice scrutinized after child deaths 4hrs ago-   Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:24 pm

I agree that parents are monsters when they go to far. A good butt whipping is not a bad thing if done properly and with verbal instruction from the parent afterwards as to why. But killing, there is no call for that. The phase in the bible, "spare the rod, spoil the child" means with verbal instruction as to why and with love as well. AJ
Back to top Go down
jahlives
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Unreal !-Pastor’s corporal punishment advice scrutinized after child deaths 4hrs ago-   Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:38 pm

The judge's story was on the news last week and caught my attention b/c of the statement that he made to the news reporter when asked about the beating. It was just appalling. I have such a heart for children with diabilities, b/c they are not just abused by strangers, but by family as well. The comfort that I have is in knowing that whatso ever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. It is univeral law!

Judge Adams stated that the beating was not as bad as it seems: “She’s mad because I’ve ordered her to bring the car back, in a nutshell, but yeah that’s me, I lost my temper,”"Her mother was there, she wasn’t hurt.. it was a long time ago.. I really don’t want to get into this right now because as you can see my life’s been made very difficult over this child,” It’s not really as bad as it seems stated the Judge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Purpleskyz
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Unreal !-Pastor’s corporal punishment advice scrutinized after child deaths 4hrs ago-   Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:42 pm

With all due respect AJ, there is no such thing as "a good butt whipping". Hitting, spanking, slapping is hurtful and damaging to a child. I can not fathom a single reason to hurt those that trust you so purely because you think they are incorrect or wrong. These so called parents that beat their children are vile. Hmmm... same letters are in evil.

Out Of Mind
www.oom2.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoldPeg9
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Unreal !-Pastor’s corporal punishment advice scrutinized after child deaths 4hrs ago-   Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:35 pm

purpleskyz wrote:
With all due respect AJ, there is no such thing as "a good butt whipping". Hitting, spanking, slapping is hurtful and damaging to a child. I can not fathom a single reason to hurt those that trust you so purely because you think they are incorrect or wrong. These so called parents that beat their children are vile. Hmmm... same letters are in evil.

RIGHT ON! I was shocked at AJ's comment.

"A good butt whipping is not a bad thing if done properly"

Spare the Rod, Spoil the child, does NOT mean to hit your children!!!

It is a parable. It means that if you do not put quality energy (the rod) into your creations (the child)- whether it be a painting, writing, even baking a cake - it will not turn out (spoil)

Yikes! This is so called "christian"?

Helping to Create an Enlightened World in 2012 - Za'Raya
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoldPeg9
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Unreal !-Pastor’s corporal punishment advice scrutinized after child deaths 4hrs ago-   Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:45 pm

AJAnderson wrote:
I agree that parents are monsters when they go to far. A good butt whipping is not a bad thing if done properly and with verbal instruction from the parent afterwards as to why. But killing, there is no call for that. The phase in the bible, "spare the rod, spoil the child" means with verbal instruction as to why and with love as well. AJ

Yep! My fanatical Dad used to beat me because he "loved" me too. He based his reasoning on his JW beliefs too. He took his black book literally and "Spare the rod", was one of his favorites.

Helping to Create an Enlightened World in 2012 - Za'Raya
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Unreal !-Pastor’s corporal punishment advice scrutinized after child deaths 4hrs ago-
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dinar Daily :: AROUND THE WORLD NEWS and CURRENT EVENTS :: WORLD-
Jump to: